Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Damn... How much time to switch out a rear exhaust bolt off the head? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/506306-damn-how-much-time-to-switch-out-a-rear-exhaust-bolt-off-the-head.html)

Jaxx 04-22-2010 08:13 PM

Damn... How much time to switch out a rear exhaust bolt off the head?

Ok, so I was in a panic to get my bike back together before tomorrow as I have a busy day and wanted to get a ride in Saturday morning. I got most of it back together last night and tonight started on the exhaust. Anyways, although I don`t remember doing it, at some point when I was test fitting the exhaust I must have cross threaded the nut onto the bolt. I didn`t realize anything was a problem till I went to tighten up the upper nut on the back exhaust port when I noticed it wouldn`t tighten up like it should, I pulled the nut off and the threads were done.

Anyone here ever been this stupid? How long of a job is this to do? I am having a mechanic swap it out and put the exhaust on properly so I don't have to worry about this again and will be sure there isn't any leaks. Just wondering how big of a job this is and how long it might take?

NightTrain4Al 04-22-2010 08:29 PM

Don't beat yourself up dude. Shit happens. I usually find that the more careful I try to be the easier it is to F_ck something up. lol...

Not a hard job. An hour maybe and you should be back in business.

stratplexi 04-22-2010 09:29 PM

Did you run a die over the threads to see if you could clean them up? Might just work and save you a few bucks...

VooDoo13 04-22-2010 09:38 PM

Could be worse. It could have broken the stud off i the head. Hell I dropped my brand new exhaust looking at them cause I was smiling so much. I wasn't smiling long.

kiwideuce 04-22-2010 10:43 PM

yeah i would of tried running a die over it first

Jaxx 04-22-2010 10:54 PM

Thanks for the reassurement guys. I will pick up die set tomorrow and see if I am able to clean the threads up. Problem is, now I am going to be worried about leaks or twisting the bolt off, lol... I ran my fingernail along them and they dont seem real bad so maybe I will get lucky.

Another quick question for you guys, which exhaust head gaskets do you guys prefer? I bought the tapered Harley ones but when I tried to put them in, they bulged the gasket out in one spot. Almost seems like they are a little to big for the port? I stopped by the dealer today and they recommended trying the Screaming Eagle ones. They said they get mixed reviews on both.

stratplexi 04-22-2010 11:46 PM

I use the Screamin Eagle gaskets...

RHillbilly 04-23-2010 07:28 AM

That stud just screws out I put 2 nuts on and tightened them together then turned back nut to remove,you can also get a stud remover and change it that way stud remover is probably cheaper than a die set then you will have new stud and wont have to worry about it

NightTrain4Al 04-23-2010 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by VooDoo13 (Post 6607807)
Could be worse. It could have broken the stud off i the head. Hell I dropped my brand new exhaust looking at them cause I was smiling so much. I wasn't smiling long.

Lol! Thats funny and sad all at the same time!!!