Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help isntalling toolbox on 07 deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 PM
sentinel105
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help installing toolbox on 07 deluxe

I recently purchased a right-side toolbox for my 2007 deluxe, part #64937-00A. When I tried to install it, I couldn't understand why the instructions were telling me to remove my passenger foot peg in order to mount the bracket.

I checked and rechecked to make sure that I had ordered the right model number, but the mounting bracket that was included didn't come with the proper bolts or instructions for my bike. The only bolts included are 3 bolts and nuts to mount the toolbox to the bracket, and 2 washers.

Here's a rundown of what the problem is:

1. The bracket mounts to the holes I've identified in the first pic, with red arrows. You can see that the bracket (in the second pic) aligns properly with the two upper bolts, as well as the lower hole on the fender.

2. The instructions are telling me that the bracket's lower hole should mount via the foot-peg bolt, but it doesn't line up. The OEM foot-peg on my bike is a couple inches lower, and in a completely different hole.

I highlighted the lines in the instructions that came with the toolbox. Red for what doesn't line up right, green for what does. (Also worth noting, the exhaust bracket (L) in the diagram is different from what's on my bike.)

Now, the first thing I thought was that I didn't have stock foot-pegs, but when I looked at a couple of pictures online of stock 2007 deluxes, the foot-pegs are in the same place.

There was a plug stuck in the lower hole where the bracket mounts, which also led me to believe the foot-pegs are stock. When I tried to pry the plug out, it broke halfway inside, and now I will probably have to take the exhaust header off to drill it out.

So that's where I'm at. All to install a simple toolbox....

If anyone can offer some advice, or has been through this issue personally, I'd really appreciate some suggestions.

Attached Thumbnails Need help isntalling toolbox on 07 deluxe-photo1.jpg   Need help isntalling toolbox on 07 deluxe-photo2.jpg   Need help isntalling toolbox on 07 deluxe-photo3.jpg  

Last edited by sentinel105; 04-23-2010 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 01:22 PM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the deluxe and the toolbox. it went on in about 5 minutes. the difference is i dont have stock pipes or the stock pipe bracket. i think you have to have a passenger peg kit. that moves the right side peg. i dont know the part number. but i think it lists it in the catalog as required.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:47 PM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

Yep,that was my understanding that the pegs have to be spaced out.

Old 04-23-2010, 01:49 PM
sentinel105
Intermediate

Originally Posted by hbarleatherneck
i have the deluxe and the toolbox. it went on in about 5 minutes. the difference is i dont have stock pipes or the stock pipe bracket. i think you have to have a passenger peg kit. that moves the right side peg. i dont know the part number. but i think it lists it in the catalog as required.
Does your toolbox bracket mount to the footpeg bolt? And if so, is your footpeg in the lower hole I identified in the photo?

If that's the case, there's no way I could raise the peg up, since the exhaust header runs right in front of it.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:12 PM
Mordrapheus
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

can you just get a bolt to install the bracket the way you positioned it in your photo. it seems to lign up well with tthe wholes. No need to move the footpegs just get a bolt to attch the bracket

Old 04-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Rockyriver
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't understand the problem? Leave the foot peg on the bike as it is now and mount the bracket. The foot peg hole the instructions speaks of is the bottom hole on the bracket and mid frame not used now. Its not a used foot peg hole till you change your pipes.

Last edited by Rockyriver; 04-23-2010 at 05:37 PM.
Old 04-23-2010, 05:48 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rocky's correct. that plug you tried to take out is where the footpeg attaches if you dont have a stock exhaust. take a pair of needle nose pliers and grasp the plug thats left in the hole, its threaded just like a bolt and you should be able to back the rest out, its just plastic. Don't drill it out you might damage the threads and you might have to retap the hole.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:39 PM
sentinel105
Intermediate

Nice, now I get it. So if I had an aftermarket exhaust, I'd have to relocate the footpeg to that particular hole.

So sounds like I just need to find a bolt that fits the hole. Anyone have a part number for a bolt that works with the threads in there? Somethign chrome that matches the upper fender strut bolts might look nice.

I'll try to back out the rest of that plug in the meantime.

Appreciate the insight guys!

Old 04-23-2010, 07:42 PM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its a standard 3/8-16 bolt that fits that hole...Find an Ace hardware..... (most sell chrome bolts).... get a 3/8-16 chrome button head. 1" should work fine

Old 06-29-2018, 08:09 AM
pat_in_the_hat
Cruiser
Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

old thread, i know. but has anyone had any issues with the tool kit pressing against the oil tank? everything else lines up, im just trying to figure out how to put a spacer between the tool kit mounting plate and frame. dont want my chrome oil tank getting ****ed up from the tool kit rubbing on it.
Thanks,