Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull in clutch lever and can't roll bike?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 06:40 PM
Jaxx
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull in clutch lever and can't roll bike?

Hey guys, some some know, I am rebuilding a salvage Rocker C. My mods and repairs are almost complete and I want to take it on its mayden voyage but needed to give the clutch some attention first.

When it is shut off and in gear, it won't roll when I pull in the clutch lever. What is up? I figured it was something as simple as adjusting the clutch but the service manual isn't very clear for someone who has never done this before.

My truck is gone for about a week and so I would have to drive it to the dealership to have it adjusted there, and I don't think that is probably a good idea without the clutch so have to figure out this one myself.

Is this probably a simple matter of adjusting the clutch, and if so, which way should I be turning the adjusting screw to make it disengage the tranny?

Thanks for any and all assistance, I need to get this thing out on the road.

Old 05-01-2010, 07:00 PM
nomaster
Advanced

The clutch on my 07 train has been like that from the day it was new. Put bike in neutral it should be fine its the clutches plates dragging inside the primary. Sounds normal to me

Old 05-01-2010, 07:01 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

OK, so I just found an old post saying this might possibly be normal and it would work fine when running? Can anyone confirm this? This goes against anything I know from any previous bike or quad I have owned. When the engine is off, if it is in gear, pull the clutch lever in and you can move it without being in neutral?

Either way, I have already f*cked with the adjusting screw so now I need to for sure adjust the clutch, ha ha ha... So still need help, not sure where to set it to? After that I will try it and see if it works when it is running but I will be paranoid as hell for the first while when cruising that it isn't going to work at some point when I get in a bind...

Old 05-01-2010, 07:03 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Originally Posted by nomaster
The clutch on my 07 train has been like that from the day it was new. Put bike in neutral it should be fine its the clutches plates dragging inside the primary. Sounds normal to me

Thanks man, well that reaffirms the other thread then. Sh*t, now I have to try to get this adjusting screw set since of course I couldn't wait for someone wiser to post on here and already had the wrenches to it, lol...

Old 05-01-2010, 07:11 PM
nomaster
Advanced

loosen the clutch cable first until you have like a half inch of free play. remove derby cover and loosen lock nut from adjuster screw and turn all the way in until you start to feel some resistance pull clutch lever to make sure the ***** are still seated back out adjuster a half to 1 full turn tighten lock nut and reassemble derby cover and take the slack out of the clutch cable put boot back on cable and your done

Old 05-01-2010, 07:13 PM
hbarleatherneck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my post from an earlier thread

hbarleatherneck
Prospect

ok, you might be a redneck or a biker if you run your bike in the house.

anyway. i have now gotten it to work thanks to you all. so thanks very much.

it isnt adjusted right just yet, but it does now do the job. so now i will play with it untill its the way i like it.

thank goodness my wife left her computer at home today.

all i know about computers is how to get on the forum and buy parts on craiglist/ebay/online vendors.

UPDATE

for everyone. but especially for those who will try this themselves.

the manual is very vague on lots of things.
so in this case it said to turn clutch screw in until it lightly touches. well what does that mean? one thing to some sissy 140 pound city guy. another thing to a 300 pound iron worker. so if you try this. i recommend backing out the screw almost until it is out of the clutch. no resistance what so ever. then turn it clockwise. just a little and you will see the plates move. when they move you are lightly touching it. then do your 1/2-1 full turn counter clockwise and then tighten the locknut... this will work. if you need to adjust it again, it will be easy. dont bother putting the cover on each time. barely any oil comes out, if any at all. follow the rest of the directions as in the manual.

oh and i hope i didnt offend any 140 pound city guys. i was making a point.
Last edited by hbarleatherneck; 02-05-2010 at 02:04 PM. Reason: UPDATE AND CLARIFICATION

Old 05-01-2010, 07:20 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a video you can check out for adjusting the clutch. Lots of helpful vids on YouTube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zl92wwLiNwE

Old 05-02-2010, 06:03 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Ok, more problems... So my buddy was over last night and said he could adjust the clutch so I gave him the tools and said have at 'er... I watched him and after reviewing the above video, he didn't do the same thing. He took the set screw all the way in till it was tight, and I mean tightened it, worked the clutch lever a couple times and then backed it off half an inch.

Now the clutch lever feels weird (really stiff) when you pull it in, it grinds when you kick it into gear, and then that is it. The wheel doesn't start rotating? He said I might have a tranny issue and take it to a dealer but I think he might have screwed with something when he tightened it and doesn't want to tell me.

Any gurus out there have some advice? I would take it to a dealer but, as I mentioned, my truck is gone for the next week and I obviously can't drive this thing there. Thanks guys.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Your "buddy" is clueless. Watch the above video, adjust it just like that...if it does not work your "buddy" broke something. The not rolling with the clutch is pulled in, is very normal if the primary oil is cold.

Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Jaxx
Tourer

Well that is just awesome, lol... My "buddy" is actually my buddy I would just like to point out, lol, I am just as clueless and am quite honest when I break something but this time it wasn't me. I will take part of the blame though, although he said he had done it before, I read the directions to him from the service manual and am thinking I might have said "until tightly seated" instead of "until lightly seated" for #5 or that maybe he misheard me. I dunno... But I do remember watching him tighten it?

Is there any way to tell if this is broken? I came back out to the garage today and followed the info on the video to a T but it is still doing the same thing. I tried doing it with a half back turn and a full one?

Anyone able to tell from the symptoms I described whether this is a major f*ck up??? I spent all my money on mods, lol, this isn't looking to promising.

Quick Reply: Pull in clutch lever and can't roll bike?