Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy Lo vs. other Softail Cruisers such as the Deuce

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 10:28 PM
kamut
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fatboy Lo vs. other Softail Cruisers such as the Deuce

I rode the Fatboy Lo during the Demo rides last week. I didn't really like the handling that much compared to some Dynas that I rode (SG Custom and Wide Glide). The Dyna's were easier to turn/lean over and had better 0-60 acceleration. In the turns the Lo was more mushy and less tight than the other two.

Can I generalize this experience to assume that I should eliminate Softails from my gradual search for a big twin cruiser? I'm asking because my favorite looking Harley's are the Fatboy and the Deuce-I also really like the Softail Custom and Standard. Or is there something unique about the Lo?

BTW, I'm not trying to rag on Softails. Like I said, I love the look and they are the bikes that got me interested in Harley's to begin with.

Old 05-01-2010, 11:38 PM
micahpop
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I just went and test rode a Street Bob and the handling is better/quicker than my softail Rocker. This was most noticeable when I got back on my bike to ride home - felt sluggish and hard to turn almost. But you know what? After a few minutes, everything felt fine and back to normal.

What's my point? Every bike has its pros and cons but in the end, you gotta go with the bike you want the most. Once you get settled in to your ride with the bars/seat/pegs dialed in, you won't really care how the other bike that you test rode awhile back felt.

I know I didn't really answer your question and I'm sorry about that.
Good luck in your search for the perfect Harley.

Old 05-02-2010, 12:56 AM
eisterd
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try the non-LO Fatboy before you decide.

Old 05-02-2010, 01:43 AM
kiwideuce
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 115 Likes on 86 Posts

deuce are the best of the softails for handling, rocker rear to wide to turn and lean properly,over 200 wide rear affects handling, for a good handler if you want softail go deuce, if you want much better get the fatbob!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:17 AM
FatVermonter
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's why demo rides are important. A good dealer will let you demo a bike anytime... not just during special "demo days". I have a Fat Boy Lo, and I have no problem with the handling. But I'm not the type of rider who's looking to hit the turns at 70 mph either. I do like the fat read tire which gives me confidence to lean it over in the turns knowing that there's a lot of rubber back there (sort of like a sport bike). Of course, on the Lo you have to worry about scraping the boards/pipes, but I just don't ride that way anyway.

Also consider what the shock preload was set at on the Lo vs. other bikes you're testing... it may not have been set correctly for your size, and that may affect your "feeling" on it.

Old 05-02-2010, 10:27 AM
Mr. Lucky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kiwideuce
deuce are the best of the softails for handling, rocker rear to wide to turn and lean properly,over 200 wide rear affects handling, for a good handler if you want softail go deuce, if you want much better get the fatbob!
I used to think that too... until I test rode a Night Rod Special, which has a 240 rear tire. It's the best handling Harley I've ever ridden, bar none - and I've owned or ridden plenty, from Sportsters to full dressers, going back to the shovelhead days.

To the OP's question... you just have to ride the ones you're interested in (even if it means shelling out $$ for a rental), and make up your own mind.