Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Crossbone Riser Torque (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/516087-crossbone-riser-torque.html)

Budmiester 05-16-2010 07:59 PM

Crossbone Riser Torque

Can anyone with a service manual for a 2008 Crossbones tell me the torque for the riser bolts? I have one ordered, (service manual, not in yet) but am in the middle of a handle bar swap, (going to 16" Wild One Chubby's) and have gotten to the point I'm putting everything back back together and need to know the torque value for the riser bolts. Also, I couldn't find a set of Poly Bushings for a springer, (wtf) everyone just has the factory rubber bushings. Took a set and am cutting them down to the same size as the rubber bumpers the MOCO put in. (Improvise, Adapt, Overcome). I'll post a narrative of this project when I get it done.

brettnbama 05-16-2010 08:18 PM

Man, I can't find it now, but I just had a thread a little while back asking for the same specs. It got answered, but I can't remember now. Click my name and got to find posts by and you should find it. or search riser bolt tourque specs....i think that was the title

Budmiester 05-16-2010 08:32 PM

Got it. 25-35 Ftlbs. 5-9-10. Tried a search, but got 20 bizillon possible matches. Thanks.

The Wolf 05-16-2010 08:46 PM

Be careful! They strip easy! (Don't ask me how I know!) I put a wrap of cloth friction tape around the bar at the risers and that made them hold tight. Goodentite makes those bushings but I like your adaptability!

brettnbama 05-16-2010 09:32 PM

you gonna do a full write up on the ape install? If so I will certainly bookmark it

rowdy82 05-16-2010 09:38 PM

Just did this install, tq is 12-15 ft lbs on the riser caps. The riser bolts them selves are 38 ft lbs. I also found a solid riser mount kit through jp cycles that works great. dont overtighten your risers they strip super easy, dont ask me how i know. Only other spec you should need is for the transmission cover which is 84 in lbs or 7 ft lbs.

fireinv38 08-01-2010 02:00 PM

dated 3/18/2008 service update. torque value 15-18 ft-lbs. handlebar clamp screw. my handle bars became loose and fell down. tried to tighten but knurl became stripped, factory advisory to dealers. seems they weren't torqued correctly at factory. dealer replaced risers and handlebars under warrantee. 2008 crossbones.

slimyfish 09-12-2010 05:17 PM

I have 17 1/2 apes with stock risers and have stripped out 2 sets of risers this last set has heli coils in them and they are doing the same ,Harley would not give me a new pair under warranty because they where after market handle bars :( now im looking into diffrent risers

Dark Horse 09-16-2010 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by brettnbama (Post 6724863)
you gonna do a full write up on the ape install? If so I will certainly bookmark it

If you need a tip or two...drop me a line.

15-18lbs.!!! You'll probably be sorry if you go 25.