Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fatboy to StreetGlide

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

At last a common sense answer .......the guy was askin for some information how to achieve a look and save some money ...... He dont want to buy another bike .... HELLO ... Never understand some of the guys on here with their answer's ..... anyway i thought you Americans were all about ..... HAVE A NICE DAY ... this forum certainly paints a different picture ........ there are some really HELPFULL guy's on here and some who are antagonistic ... still what ever gets ya through the night

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 07-21-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:30 AM
Sethiroth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Converting your FLSTF to a FLHX is completely and totally illogical.

I don't know what year your Fatboy is, but lets pretend its a 2005 for my example.

If you own it out right, no matter how much money and work you put into it, it will always be a 2005 Fatboy. If you spend 2000 just to get hardbags and a Batwing w/ radio plus paint then you still in the end have a 2005 Fatboy worth as much as a 2005 Fatboy.

But you could sell it outright instead of trading it in and get prob 12,000-14,000 for it, take the extra 2 grand that you WOULD of spent and adding that to your total, then you will be around 14-16,000. With that money you would NOT be too far off from finding a preowned 2006-2008 FLHX.

If your Fatboy is older, like say 1999, then you prob could get like $8-9,000 for it, if its newer, you could get more.

This would get you a bike thats WORTH MORE and will hold its value longer, plus have a MUCH better ride with air ride suspension and have factory matching paint!

To me, this seems like the most logical way to go.

And if you went with a 2010-2011 FLHX, with $14,000 down, you would prob have like $150 a month payments, which aint to shabby at all for a BRAND new touring Harley

Old 07-21-2010, 09:00 AM
BlackRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bikes ain't all about logic, man. I have spent plenty on my bikes that I kow I'll never get back but I do it because I like it. There's lot's of bikes better than my 2006 FLST but I have had a lot of good times on it, taken it on lots of trips, and worked damn hard to save up to buy and the pride I felt the day I bought it is something I will never forget. Maybe this guy is like me, not ready to part with his bike for sentimental reasons.

Old 07-21-2010, 09:22 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

sethiroth ..... you guy's dont read the post's do ya .... Also let's not pretend it's a 05 for example .... It's an 01 .... There it is in his first post .... HAVE A NICE DAY

Last edited by skulltrainharley; 07-21-2010 at 09:59 AM.
Old 07-21-2010, 09:48 AM
blowe
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 4 Posts

WTF are your panties all in a wad about? He asked for opinions on if this was a reasonable thing to do and well no it isn't.

Originally Posted by skulltrainharley
sethiroth ..... HELLO ... he dont wanna sell his bike fck me where's the coffee .... you guy's dont read the post's do ya .... Also let's not pretend it's a 05 for example .... It's an 01 .... There it is in his first post .... HAVE A NICE DAY

Old 07-21-2010, 10:21 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior

He dont want to sell , or trade , or have a payment , he want's to look like an SG ....

Old 07-21-2010, 04:13 PM
Weevil
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Z06John
Is it reasonable to try and convert an 01 Fatboy to look like a Street glide? I have seen batwings and hard shell bags, what else would you need to do. Is it even possible to do / the Streetglides look like to forks are shorter. Chime in let me know what you guys think.
Xaran gave the best advice;
Originally Posted by XARAN
It can be done depending on the parts cost.

Dragon fly Fairing or Dead Center Cycles Fairing $ 800 ( with radio)
Or a Hoppe Industries Fairing for $1700.00

Cycle Visions or Sumax Bagger Tail Bag Mounts $ 400

Used Hard Bags off E Bay $500 -1000 ( depending on your luck)

They also make the rear fender inserts to close the gap between the bags and fender

Go on the Cycle Visions or Sumax sites they have pictures
And if you're going for the true Street Glide look, might as well put on a set of True Duels exhaust from either Vance and Hines or Samson ($700), and HD Deluxe Auxiliary Lighting Kit ($400). Of course with the hard bags, you're going to have to relocate the rear signal lights, so the Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar Kit ($150) is a must. Of course you'll have to drill holes in the rear fender to mount them, or just invest in a good used Heritage rear fender, and paint it to match your existing paint. Piece of cake actually, and no payments either.

If you've got deep pockets, or willing to take it one piece/part at a time, go for it. I think what alot of people are saying is that for the amount of money you'll end up paying to have, basically, a Fatboy bagger, just take the plunge and buy a Street Glide.

But it's your decision. Good luck with either direction you decide to take. Oh, and if go the Fat-Bagger route, post pictures.

Old 07-21-2010, 07:25 PM
veritas.archangel
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DD&Weevil
Xaran gave the best advice;

And if you're going for the true Street Glide look, might as well put on a set of True Duels exhaust from either Vance and Hines or Samson ($700), and HD Deluxe Auxiliary Lighting Kit ($400). Of course with the hard bags, you're going to have to relocate the rear signal lights, so the Bullet Rear Turn Signal Bar Kit ($150) is a must. Of course you'll have to drill holes in the rear fender to mount them, or just invest in a good used Heritage rear fender, and paint it to match your existing paint. Piece of cake actually, and no payments either.

If you've got deep pockets, or willing to take it one piece/part at a time, go for it. I think what alot of people are saying is that for the amount of money you'll end up paying to have, basically, a Fatboy bagger, just take the plunge and buy a Street Glide.

But it's your decision. Good luck with either direction you decide to take. Oh, and if go the Fat-Bagger route, post pictures.
SGs have a two into one exhaust from the factory Just like the FatBoy. SGs don't have auxiliary lights from the factory, that would be the Electra Glide. Relocating turn signals doesn't have to cost very much at all. Heck, Just mount some LEDs into the hard bags.

The thing is, still, that it will cost him a lot less to convert than to buy an SG. I just wonder why so many are trying to tell him not to. Are you covert "tourers" instead of real Softail fans?

Old 07-21-2010, 08:24 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'd just like to have a bagger as an alternate to ride other than my fatboy- bagger frames - SG/RK handle better than a softail IMO.

Old 07-21-2010, 08:25 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

And those frames will accept a Jims 120 Engine too!

Quick Reply: Fatboy to StreetGlide