Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

M8 to 96?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2022, 12:43 PM
DeanGoods_
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default M8 to 96?

Hey all
brand spankin new here and alrdy need some expert opinions.
Long story short, had an 04 Dyna for yrs, was fun but sold it and bought a 19 deluxe a few seasons ago. Night and day and I love it. Problem is I can’t take my eyes off this 07 softail custom that’s avail nearby. Went through it, flawless, 20k miles. Retro styling and color has me hypnotized. Is this insanity? Would the M8 and new frame be too much to lose? Glad to have a resource like this, and nice meeting you all. Safe travels

Last edited by DeanGoods_; 03-27-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Old 03-27-2022, 07:50 PM
Harley Hick
Intermediate
Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know. I've never ridden the new bikes.
But I can tell you I'd never part with my 08 Custom.

The following users liked this post:
Cap77 (04-02-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 07:44 AM
uncle kebo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,372 Likes on 2,206 Posts

I hate telling people how to spend their money but since you asked, keep the deluxe.

smitty901 (03-28-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 08:55 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,406 Likes on 4,014 Posts

Depends on how you use your bike.... What you NEED from your bike.... and how you personally feel about the whole "motorcycle riding" experience....

The '19 Deluxe has the newer mono-shock frame and by all reports (I've never ridden one) it is much better in terms of performance and comfort than the older, real softail frames....

If your riding includes long rides and/or multi-day trips, you would probably notice a decrease in comfort....

If you like to cruise winding roads, you would probably notice a decrease in performance...

Only you can can decide if that change would be something you would regret... and/or how much you would regret it...

Having said all that.....

I have gone on many long, multi-day trips on my 2003 Heritage, before I bought my first bagger in 2012.... That bike was OEM with an 88" engine, and quickly got a 95" big bore kit. It still has the 5-speed transmission. If I am taking a trip, I now take the bagger. However if I had a planned trip and for whatever reason the bagger was unavailable, I wouldn't hesitate to jump on the 2003 Heritage to go on the trip. I know it wouldn't be as comfortable on the Heritage v the bagger, but it's not a trip cancelling difference to me....

As far as the engine goes, the M8 engine is newer, and has more power... what does that mean to you and your riding style/use...?

I have three Twin Cams. My '16 bagger is 135HP & 151TQ... I have absolutely no need, or desire at this point, to buy a bike with an M8 engine...

So much of owning a Harley is about how you "feel" when riding it...
I would totally understand if you switched, even though many would consider it a backwards move, from the '19 to the '07....
I'm sure there are many who wouldn't understand..

Good luck with your decision...

Cap77 (04-02-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 09:26 AM
Jonesy82
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I went from an 18 CVO 117 with cam, exhaust, tune back to a 96 twin cam softail. Power comparison only, it's been super hard to not just do a 107 kit on the softail.

Old 03-28-2022, 04:17 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

Test ride it and see if you still want it. No offense to anyone who owns the new Softail but I just don’t buy the argument of it being so much better. It’s still a big bulky bike meant to cruise and has marginal lean angles…especially the lowered models like the Deluxe.

To me, the new frame misses the mark aesthetically. The swingarm doesn’t line up properly to the lower part of the frame and the fake plastic oil tank are all misses. On top of those misses, they removed the exposed oil lines and have gotten rid of most of the little custom features that made
each model unique. The bikes now look kind of generic and cheap…reminds me of a Honda or something. None of them come with real leather bags or a windshield. Most of them come with a cheap vinyl solo seat. Clearly Harley has cut manufacturing costs and cheapened the lineup.

Other than the M8, with the new 8 lobe oil pump, I just prefer everything about the Twin Cam Softails.

The Custom is a bad @ss looking bike.

The following 2 users liked this post by stratplexi:
MarlinSpike (03-28-2022), Uncle G. (04-02-2022)
Old 03-28-2022, 05:45 PM
DeanGoods_
4th Gear

Thanks for the advice so far. Big picture, I want to eventually get into long distance rides. I’ve done a handful of trips just out of state, but nothing more than 3-4 hrs tops. I wanna get away - like cross country/ road trippin away. So I guess comfort is key. I’m more of a retro dude, 44 yrs old with an older soul. Anything classic looking is my weakness. The ‘19 deluxe has been real good to me. 14” apes and a cherokee seat later - I have no complaints whatsoever. Ergos are spot on. I guess a serious test ride on the custom is in order…

Last edited by DeanGoods_; 03-28-2022 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-28-2022, 05:51 PM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,003 Likes on 516 Posts

I have toured on every Softail I have owned. They tour just fine. But, if touring 2-up or taking the superslab is part of your plans, the touring bikes do it better than the Softails. I have owned a bunch of each and toured on them all…2 up and solo. The touring platform also is set up for hauling more stuff. It’s amazing how quick the space fills when touring with the wife…lol. Good luck

Old 03-28-2022, 06:10 PM
DeanGoods_
4th Gear

Yea strat, that’s a whole other can o worms. I saw a few RG’s that caught my attention, but the wife isnt convinced she should come along 🤔. I have a buddy with one and he swears I just haven’t “graduated” yet lol

Old 03-28-2022, 07:28 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,606 Likes on 5,174 Posts

Your money ,your ride. Think long and hard about this. Make sure you are ready to live with the results.

DeanGoods_ (03-28-2022)

Quick Reply: M8 to 96?