Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe owners with 21's on front a little help PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2010, 07:16 AM
wallah
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the hub and spacers are the same size and the brakes pads are letting the wheel spin freely, then IMO it is the fender that might be off center. When I switched from the fatter original deluxe 16's to the 21" rims I had a similar problem which I solved by loosening the fender bolts, centering the fender (it took a bit of gentle bending) then tightening the bolts up one side at a time. That solved the problem. A skinnier wheel you will notice much more of a misalignment than a fatter wheel under an FL fender.

Old 08-23-2010, 08:08 AM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

switch your spacers around...maybe thats your problem.... ....there is about a .5" difference between the 2 front spacers...

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 08-23-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2010, 12:19 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Well, any solution yet? I am curious to hear myself. Personally, I would not bend the fender, but that is just me.

Drew

Old 08-23-2010, 01:40 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Well just got out of the garage and switching around the spacer did nothing at all I still have the same problem it is off center .This time I hooked the caliper back up and it lined up with the rotor and spins freely but it still is off center.I really dont know WTF is going on.Even if I get a smaller spacer for the caliper side There is no way the rotor will line up with the caliper.The rotor will be too close to the fork and I dont beleive it could even be shimmed.I think it could be shimmed out ward but inward seems impossible given the mounting location for the caliper on the fork.I just finger tightened everything if I torque everything to proper specs would that do anything ??? Ive talked with two people that have done this without a problem.Wish I knew how to post pics Would that help anyone with a solution.There is NO WAY I am bending my fender that seems like a poor solution to my problem IMO.Plus that white ice pearl and black ice pearl paint is just too pretty.Surprised I have not scratched it yet messing with thing.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:45 PM
caletcb
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my buddy had to bend his fender back somehow it got bent between wheel changes. wasnt that difficult to kinda knock back into place. if your wheel lines up with the forks on both sides and doesnt line up with your fender its your fender. check your spacers what are they like a 25 mm

Old 08-23-2010, 01:56 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by caletcb
my buddy had to bend his fender back somehow it got bent between wheel changes. wasnt that difficult to kinda knock back into place. if your wheel lines up with the forks on both sides and doesnt line up with your fender its your fender. check your spacers what are they like a 25 mm
I believe they are 25 mm spacers whatever came on a stock 2010 Deluxe is what they are.How would I check if the wheel lines up with the fork

Old 08-23-2010, 02:51 PM
aggro_jo
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If your brakes don't bind with wheel installed, your spacers are correct. I would not try to bend the big ol front fender either. All I can think is that maybe the dish is out on the 21 you're using. This would cause the rim to be pulled off center of the hub. I have no idea what the specs are but that would be next guess. You can lay a straightedge across one side of the rim at the bead and measure how far it is to the hub. Then check this against another 21" rim. Hell, I can measure mine tonight for you if it helps.

Old 08-23-2010, 06:00 PM
Malingerer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by aggro_jo
If your brakes don't bind with wheel installed, your spacers are correct. I would not try to bend the big ol front fender either. All I can think is that maybe the dish is out on the 21 you're using. This would cause the rim to be pulled off center of the hub. I have no idea what the specs are but that would be next guess. You can lay a straightedge across one side of the rim at the bead and measure how far it is to the hub. Then check this against another 21" rim. Hell, I can measure mine tonight for you if it helps.
I'll take any help I can get right now and be very thankful for it.I am just about ready to kick this bike right off the lift.Just got back from Harley bought the chrome spacer kit I'm gonna see if that does any thing which I doubt.They said my problem is the hub on a FX and FN have different internal spacing even if the overall width is the same on the two hubs the bearings are recessed more on the FL causing the mis alignment .There solution is to take the stock hub from the 16 and relace it to the 21 rim and spokes.They said that would give me a perfect fit with stock spacers and no shimming to the caliper.Still doesnt explain why others have done this with no problem.The avon tire has a tread line right down the middle which really causes it to stand out with that chrome fender trim that comes to a point on the front fender of the Deluxe. Thanks Tom

Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

I've got the exact same rim as you, off a 2009 Night Train. Let me go take some closeup pics and I'll post them.

Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior

Crummy pics, but hopefully you can make something out from them.

Quick Reply: Deluxe owners with 21's on front a little help PLEASE