Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exactly What is a Stage 1 Kit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:59 AM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

It is easy to detect a bike with a stage 1 installed - look at the aircleaner backplate, if it is aluminum and you can stick your finger in the backside of the front cover, you have a Stage 1 Aircleaner (Stock is black plastic back and enclosed) Usually the Aircleaner included the rest of the Stage 1 Kit and Stage 1 Aircleaner gets you a larger throttle body inside diameter as the OE filter has a metal tube reducer that enters the throttle body. Usually the Stage 1 includes free flowing mufflers and a download to increase max RPM to 6200, make the fuel map richer, and alter the timing table.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:36 AM
Quicksilver55
Advanced
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 2013 FLHTC which is my first bike in 35 years. I just had the 1000 mile service done and want to makes some changes. Wanted to know if anyone has done the Rinehart true dual power pack? They have the 4 inch true dual exhaust, the Arlen Ness stage 1 big sucker, and the thundermax auto tune. Has anyone used this set up? Iwant more torque and sound but like to cruise and still hear someone talking to me

Old 06-09-2013, 07:53 AM
cass
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

thanks for the info guys. i was at the dealer yesterday, just looking at the baubles and such as i already have a 2013 stock limited when a sales person fired up one of the new bikes on the floor. now, in the almost 10 years i have been going to this dealer, which i have purchased two bikes from, they have NEVER done this. They did it the first time on a newsed bike which sounded pretty good then later they cranked open a new one that was sitting on the floor and it got my attention. they had done a stage 1 on it and put some VH high output slip ons on it. OMG, did it sound nice! i'm not a wrencher so i asked them what it would run for the SE aircleaner, pipes and tuner.....all in all, a little over $1500. Not that I'm gonna do it right away, but that doesn't sound too bad to me. anyway, something to save my pennies for......

Old 01-15-2014, 08:17 AM
UncleBigGeorge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info!

Old 04-15-2014, 08:50 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 81 Posts

This is a great thread for folks like me just embarking upon the Harley Modding trail.

I've put on mufflers and Power Commander III so far on my twin cam.

Has anyone actually seen dyno results from a "stage 1" air cleaner? Looking at my stock air cleaner, and the tiny throttle body, I can't see that it's much of a restriction. And I actually like the stock cover vs the aftermarket open air cleaners so I'd like to keep that.

Appreciate any advice on actual dyno results from swapping an air cleaner. I can obviously use my PC III to retune if I get one, but I'm dubious as to the gains and if it's worth the money.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:28 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G

Appreciate any advice on actual dyno results from swapping an air cleaner. I can obviously use my PC III to retune if I get one, but I'm dubious as to the gains and if it's worth the money.
I'm sure this will start a flame war, but here's what I was told by a service manager at my area's top dealer (and the service manager is a good friend of a good friend...)

I had my stage 1 work done at this dealer last year, and asked about a dyno...
He took me aside (outside actually) and told me flat-out to save my money.
He said putting a bike on a dyno with just Stage 1 upgrades was a "sucker's bet", and generally done for those guys who are just "chasing numbers" or want the "bragging rights" that you get with a piece of paper...

He also told me to not consider a dyno until I advanced at least to a Stage 2, with cams and other engine work - since the results would be negligible, over a decent and less costly basic tuner.
If you're looking to squeeze every last ounce of HP out of your bike, or plan on bringing it to the drag strip on Sunday, then by all means have at it.
But if you just want to get the most out of your bike and have it run its best (at Stage 1), any number of of the good tuners out there will do essentially the same job for a whole lot less money...

Now before anybody starts flaming, consider this...
This came from the service manager at an H-D dealer and as everybody knows, the dealer's sole purpose is to sell you **** whether you need it or not, and to do everything in their power to separate you from your money.
So how could I not believe this guy?

Last edited by jam436; 04-15-2014 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:33 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Jam436, I've dyno'd and tuned enough Corvettes to know a thing or two about what results to expect on that car...while the Harley is obviously different, it's still suck squeeze bang blow so the concepts transfer.

I suspect you are exactly correct with what you wrote, in a Vette there are a couple of things you do to the factory tune and it reaps great results (IAT timing reduction for example, combined with a cold air intake and leaning it out a bit is worth a lot on the dyno or track), after that, there's not much to do until you swap headers/cams/intakes/heads.

I am thinking that a new air cleaner is just a waste of money since I like the looks of the stock air cleaner but I'm wonder if anyone could prove my hunch wrong.

Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
jam436
Supporter
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe_G

I am thinking that a new air cleaner is just a waste of money since I like the looks of the stock air cleaner but I'm wonder if anyone could prove my hunch wrong.
The stock air cleaners are so restrictive (almost a sealed box) that your bike is using the bare amount of air and also fuel for it to run.
EPA requirements - no air or fuel in = no emissions...

That's why you hear the Stage 1 upgrade called "the Harley Tax".
To really get the most out of a stock bike you need to upgrade to a free flowing exhaust and air cleaner, then add some type of tuner to improve your air/fuel ratio & timing to compensate...

I'm now running the new V&H FuelPak 3 - the bike runs so much better, more power, cooler oil temps and no decel pop. Night and day from stock.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:12 AM
Joe_G
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by jam436
The stock air cleaners are so restrictive (almost a sealed box) that your bike is using the bare amount of air and also fuel for it to run.
EPA requirements - no air or fuel in = no emissions...

That's why you hear the Stage 1 upgrade called "the Harley Tax".
To really get the most out of a stock bike you need to upgrade to a free flowing exhaust and air cleaner, then add some type of tuner to improve your air/fuel ratio & timing to compensate...

I'm now running the new V&H FuelPak 3 - the bike runs so much better, more power, cooler oil temps and no decel pop. Night and day from stock.
For sure I agree with you on exhaust...I noted a huge difference going to straight pipes with a simple baffle, bike ran like crap until I got the PC III on it and gave it some fuel. Vettes are the same way, headers are 30 rwhp and are the second mod after a cold air intake.

I'm questioning if my stock air cleaner is restrictive....the engine is only 88 ci and a 50 mm throttle body from the looks of it. I guess I could take off the lid and run the open air filter and see if I notice any difference.

I'd like to see if anyone has done a dyno before and after a filter change so we can see the dyno results of the air filter swap.

Old 04-15-2014, 10:24 AM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Quicksilver55
I have a 2013 FLHTC which is my first bike in 35 years. I just had the 1000 mile service done and want to makes some changes. Wanted to know if anyone has done the Rinehart true dual power pack? They have the 4 inch true dual exhaust, the Arlen Ness stage 1 big sucker, and the thundermax auto tune. Has anyone used this set up? Iwant more torque and sound but like to cruise and still hear someone talking to me
I have an 07 SG with Rinehart 3" True Duals, Big City Thunder QQ Baffles and stock Rinehart baffles, Ness Big Sucker and Dyno Jet Power Commander III. I don't lack for power and at highway speed the sound is deep. Most times I find myself turning off the radio so I can listen to the pipes instead. Never dyno'd it so I can't give any hard and fast numbers.

Quick Reply: Exactly What is a Stage 1 Kit?