Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Dies When Clutch Is In

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 04:57 AM
amontances
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Dies When Clutch Is In

i'm cruising on 6th gear at about 70mph and i decide to hold the clutch in to hear the wind pass through my ears.&nbsp\\; while the clutch is in i look down and my oil light comes on where i found that to be bizzare because i just had my 10K mile check done.&nbsp\\; a few second later i've come to find out that my engine was shut off while i had my clutch engaged.&nbsp\\; that was the first time when i noticed that and so i just went ahead re-started her up again by hitting the start.&nbsp\\; she kicked back up.&nbsp\\; then on numerous occassions on the same day while slowling cruising the boulevard, my engine would die while i had the clutch in.&nbsp\\; the only way for me to keep my 07 Softail Standard engine running is to keep revving the engine to give it gas.&nbsp\\; what could be wrong with bike?&nbsp\\; i'm currently in spain with my bike now and i brought it to the HD service center here in Cadiz, Spain and i was told by a non mechanic that since i changed out my pipes i need to install a Fuel Pack, and change out my air intake system.&nbsp\\;

he maybe right to some degree (and i'm no expert at this), but the fuel pack helps reduce the popping coming from you bike. and the air intake, well, i'm not really quite sure but i'm pretty sure that having the stock intake isn't shutting my engine off when i have the clutch engaged.&nbsp\\; plus before i brought it in for the 10k mile check, it was fine.

you know what i've also noticed from time to time when starting the engine.&nbsp\\; sometimes it would take longer than usuall to start\\; like an extra 3 second.&nbsp\\; it may seem like i may have spark plug problems or not enough fuel going through?&nbsp\\; any suggestions?

alvin
07 softail standard
Cadiz, Spain

Old 06-29-2008, 05:04 AM
italfatboy
Cruiser
Default RE: Engine Dies When Clutch Is In

Maybe dirty fuel??? Try a different brand gasoline.

Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM
commander112
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

this has nothing to do with the pipes.&nbsp\\; there is something else going on.
&nbsp\\;
mark

Old 06-29-2008, 09:17 AM
breaknbad
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nothing to do with pipes.
&nbsp\\;
On older bikes without the o2 senser you would have to remap the computer if you did the air filter. But was fine if you just changed pipes.
&nbsp\\;
Your bike has 02 sensers that should keep the bike at a fuel mixture that the factory set for it regardless of what mods you do.
&nbsp\\;
Try different fuel,tune up,etc. If nothing simple fixes it take it back to dealer.
&nbsp\\;
David

Old 06-29-2008, 10:21 AM
amontances
Intermediate

there's this gas company, Repsol, that's all over spain that i've used them coming into spain and before i had my 10k service&nbsp\\;done where i use their 95 octane this was not happening.&nbsp\\; although all Repsol do not all get the same type gas, but it's been 3 different Repsols and it's still doing what it's doing.&nbsp\\; so there's something physically wrong with the bike and i don't think it's the gas.&nbsp\\; can i use a gas cleaner for my bike?&nbsp\\; the one you can get off the shelf at a gas station...

Old 06-29-2008, 10:58 AM
Romey
Cruiser

My 08 Deluxe done the same thing one morning going to work.&nbsp\\; Check around the injector plugs and map sensor plug to make sure they are all well connected.&nbsp\\; I found the connector to the map sensor half undone.&nbsp\\; Pushed it back in and haven't had anymore problems.
&nbsp\\;
Mike

Old 06-29-2008, 02:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Had that problem for one day with my 08.&nbsp\\; Coming up to a stop,&nbsp\\; pull the clutch in,&nbsp\\; bike would stall.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
Put a new tank of gas from a different station in&nbsp\\;it, no problem since.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;Bad gas?&nbsp\\; Good enough explanation for me.

Old 06-29-2008, 04:16 PM
amontances
Intermediate

i inspected my bike and waxed her a bit.&nbsp\\; i looked under the seat and made sure everything was hooked up.&nbsp\\; i looked in the fuse box and the only thing loose was fuel pump fuse that was not pushed in all the way because i felt a bit of play.&nbsp\\; i'll take it for a spin tomorrow with the little amount of gas i have now and i will also try a different company of gas in spain.

thanks and i'll report back.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:07 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

Its gotta be something with the gas. Either bad gas or your injectors are clogged up. Run high octane and maybe some fuel line cleaner through a tank and see if it keeps doing it.

Old 06-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Pulchritude
Cruiser

Check the battery posts and make sure they are good and tight with no corrosion. Your symptoms were very similar to what was happening to the gf's bike recently and a battery post was the problem.

Quick Reply: Engine Dies When Clutch Is In