Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best beach bars for deluxe with stock cables and risers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 11:34 PM
usefulshrimp
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Best beach bars for deluxe with stock cables and risers?

I'd like some wider bars for my deluxe, but I don't want the hassle of swapping out cables etc at the moment, so I'm wondering if there is a decent 1" beach bar that will work with the stock cables and risers?

I like wild 1s, but with the internal wiring I think I'd need to swap out the cables.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with the Wild1 504s on my Deluxe but I changed cables to all steel braided. You might be able to use stock cables on these but it might be tight. If I recall, when I did my install the steel braided cables weren't much longer than stock.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:05 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

It is alot of hassle but I think it's worth it to get the bars you like and besides the cables will look way better.

If you still just want to replace only the bars, best thing to do is call Wild1. They should be able to tell you what bars you can get away with using the stock cables.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 AM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Whatever you choose, by swapping the risers out you can get 3'' back to make up for the wider bars.

Old 06-03-2012, 09:16 AM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

I am not answering your question directly, but have some advice anyways.

Really think this decision through.

So often on the forum and on the streets I hear people talk about having or wanting to re-do mods they have done because it is not "just right." Many folks don't get what they want the first time because they are trying to save money or trying to avoid extra work. In the end, they wind up paying twice or three times what they would have if they just bought what they wanted the first time, because they eventually buy it anyways after they first bought something that wasn't exactly what they wanted. They eventually wind up doing the work they were trying to avoid too.

So, basically, what I am saying is get the bars you really want. Do the cable swap/wire extension you need to do it right. If you don't have the cash, wait a while. The parts will be there when you have saved enough and you may even find that a bargain pops up that makes it possible to get what you really want sooner than you expected. And you may also find that the effort to do the job right is not really as bad/hard as you thought it would be.

It is no bargain to pay for something you are settling on.

Keep us posted on what you decide to do - and take pictures!!

Old 06-03-2012, 10:35 AM
VigilantOutlaw
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

I just had the 1 1/4" Burly Bikini bars installed on my Deluxe to give it that vintage look. Anyway, I kept the stock cables and lines on it for now and they work fine. Not only do they look good, they also feel very comfortable; kinda feels like power steering was added to my bike!
Hope this helps, I'll try to add a pic or two in the next day or so.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
aquaelvis
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Loose the risers, my opinion. Look at the big johnson bars, about $160, great quality and feel. They should work with all your stock cables and wires- you can run the wires internal later if you want or do it now. It isn't that hard.

Old 06-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by thelawnmowerman
Whatever you choose, by swapping the risers out you can get 3'' back to make up for the wider bars.
+1, besides I don't think the bars will look that good with 4" pullback risers. The bars have enough pullback to put them in your lap as it is.

Old 06-03-2012, 12:57 PM
NC D'LUXE
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Burly bikinis or HD beach bars should work but as the others said, you'll want to change your riser out which isn't to expensive.

SprungDave has provided some very sound advice.

Watch on the classified here and you'll probably be able to pick up someone else's mistake or someones bars that are being upgraded or swapped out for apes etc. You might even find the cables and risers to go with them.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:04 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Well said SprungDave. If your going to do something, take the time to do it right or its often money down the drain. You always get what you pay for and saving money sometimes mean buying junk. Take your time, investigate, ask questions, look around, read and then just do what you want done the right way. If I want something but can't afford quality parts I wait. I hate rolling down the road and hearing crap fall off. I hate going to hop on my bike to go somewhere and it won't start. I hate buying something then seeing someone else with what I REALLY wanted. Take your time, do it right or often you waiste not only money but your time too.

Quick Reply: Best beach bars for deluxe with stock cables and risers?