Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Black Denim Paint,,, Need Help All Replies are welcome, Thank You in Advance !!! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/578009-black-denim-paint-need-help-all-replies-are-welcome-thank-you-in-advance.html)

Augito1979 10-31-2010 03:09 AM

Black Denim Paint,,, Need Help All Replies are welcome, Thank You in Advance !!!

I'm new here and been looking for post or threads about the Black Denim Paint. Im a mechanic, repo Agent, tow truck operator and dabble a little in body work and finishing such as detailing wet sanding and buffing paint.

My question is how do you maintain this paint. I wouldnt wanna throw some wax and make it shiny,,, but as in any paint if you dont put some type of protection on it then the paint will oxidize or fade. Is there a wax or Glaze that can be put on this paint to protect it,,, it will be stored inside but I wanna go to shows and ride as much as possible.

I went to a Harley Dealership, dont wanna mention no names and I was told you have to wash these with a mild soap or with windex. Soap and Windex are degreasers, and not sure what the factory puts on the finish of the Black Denim paint jobs once there doneand shipped. Im in between the Denim Black and the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Anyone who can help would be greatly appreciated,,, my heart is set on the Black Denim, but if I cant wax or put some kind of protection then I dont want it I'll get the Brilliant Silver Pearl. Please get back to me on here or at my e-mail Augito1979@yahoo.com,,, Thank You all in advance !!!:icon_headbang:

brettnbama 10-31-2010 08:09 AM

The denim paints are super easy to maintain. I use bike brite when I wash it, and harley gloss spray to wipe it down between washes. The best thing about it is it doesn't show the light spider web scratches that the vivid black shows just by sneezing on it. The only realy con to it, IMO is if you do get a real scratch in it, you can't buff it out....

Ash16 10-31-2010 12:22 PM

Windex on the denim paint! That denim paint cleaner left a weird film on mine the one time i used it. Lemon Pledge on everything else.

firecwp 10-31-2010 04:02 PM

Denim looks killa! Painting my bike that color at a later date. Heard windex also.

Firemed509 10-31-2010 05:26 PM

Do not wax denim paint. Your owners manual says not to use wax.

fcsallan 10-31-2010 06:04 PM

I think that is the point of the post, he is thinking of changing his bike to denim paint, there won't be an owners manual....

No worries man, there are lots of products out there for semi flat paints these days. When you pick up the paint, ask the shop about them.

driv3rx 10-31-2010 06:23 PM

my brother has a '07 nighttreain denim black he uses S100 engine bright all over the bike keeps it new looking,I used same stuff on my flat black engine parts they look like new.

Cheesecake 10-31-2010 07:16 PM

you can put wax on Denim....
I did it on half of my front fender after i took it off...
it does change the appearance...gives it a bit of a shine....
I also applied some Rejex on the other half....it also changed the look....

CC

razorback84 10-31-2010 11:32 PM

Windex here

Kadorja 11-01-2010 01:30 AM

Originally Posted by Cheesecake (Post 7478483)
you can put wax on Denim....
I did it on half of my front fender after i took it off...
it does change the appearance...gives it a bit of a shine....
I also applied some Rejex on the other half....it also changed the look....

CC

My dad tried wax on his denim paint and said it just smeared around and looked horrible and was a pain to get off. Had to use bug and tar remover to get it to scrape off.

IMO the whole point of the denim is so wear and fade and give the bike an old school look along with character. I get a scratch in my bike I dont try to buff it out I leave it there.