Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   New Old Stock Price? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/583860-new-old-stock-price.html)

bourgeoisboy 11-19-2010 10:52 AM

New Old Stock Price?

How much less do you guys think I could buy a left over 2010 standard black deluxe for? I've talked to several dealers over the phone that had one, but they don't want to do any price talk over the phone. It would be about an hour drive, so I'd like to know kind of what to expect if I could. Do any of you guys have any experience in dealing with new old stock?

Phantomryder 11-19-2010 11:54 AM

I purchased my 2010 in black in May for $16,000.00

bourgeoisboy 11-19-2010 12:23 PM

At my local dealer that's what I can get an '11 for OTD. Of course that would make sense because if '11's came out in August, you buying your '10 in May would be like me buying an '11 now. I read somewhere that dealers would mark left overs down $2000.00 below msrp. Don't know if that's true or not ,or if that is OTD or $1000.00 worth of fees, tax, etc. added back on to the discounted MSRP. Thanks for your reply.

djl 11-19-2010 12:45 PM

We start the negotiation with dealers in my area at MSRP and get whatever we can from there which will vary from model to model depending on stock and demand. The biggest problem with dealers is that they add on a bunch of chrome doo dads so that most of the bikes on the showroom floor are priced above MSRP, so if you start at MSRP, you usually talking about a bike that is in the back in a box or hasn't arrived yet. The dealers count on your urgency to purchase to get you to pay for the extra chit they have added to boost the OTD price.

As for last year's stock, the starting point is MSRP less $1000 and, I believe, in this market, you might be able to get the dealer down to MSRP less $2000 for a cash deal. It will take some time and shoe leather but make the dealers compete for your business. Go visit each dealer, start the negotiation and check out the shop; talk to the service manager, talk big bore kits, etc. and get a feel for the dealer's attitude toward warranty and service. Do they have an inhouse dyno? If so, talk to the tuner, find out what systems he/she likes to work with, how much experience does he/she have, etc. I would be willing to pay a little more to a dealer that I thought was honest, fair, had competent techs and would stand by their word. Good luck.

bourgeoisboy 11-19-2010 01:00 PM

I would be paying cash. Is the dealer I buy from going to have be the one I have to go back to for any warranty, service related issues. If so, I would have to carefully consider buying from someone an hour to an hour and a half away.

jbg 11-19-2010 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by bourgeoisboy (Post 7555122)
I would be paying cash. Is the dealer I buy from going to have be the one I have to go back to for any warranty, service related issues. If so, I would have to carefully consider buying from someone an hour to an hour and a half away.

A Harley warranty will be honored by any dealer. However I've found that by using the dealer where I've bought 2 bikes at, I do get special treatment. For example, I brought in my Lo for it's 5K service and they replaced my rear tire under the tire warranty, without me even asking, because the tread was VERY low already. They also buffed out and filled in a bad scratch in the rear fender (that was my fault) and didn't even charge me for a detail.

bourgeoisboy 11-19-2010 01:37 PM

That makes sense, JBG. Thanks. I've tried to just find a newer used one, but in my local people want close to as much as I could buy a new one for. Sometimes you don't really like the stuff they've already put on the bike and bragging about either. I guess most of them owe too much on them still.

beaureed445 11-19-2010 08:09 PM

If I were negotiating for a "left-over" '10 model, I'd start at 2k below MSRP. I was recently considering a '10 Road Glide (left-over)....MSRP was $18,999. Dealer would give it to me for $16,700. I opted to just keep riding the Softail, instead.

dennyo 11-19-2010 08:18 PM

Start Low and give-um your phone # and Walk

bourgeoisboy 11-19-2010 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by beaureed445 (Post 7556743)
If I were negotiating for a "left-over" '10 model, I'd start at 2k below MSRP. I was recently considering a '10 Road Glide (left-over)....MSRP was $18,999. Dealer would give it to me for $16,700. I opted to just keep riding the Softail, instead.

Was that OTD, or tax, tags, & B.S. fees added to that?