Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Clutch Adjustment Question (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/594645-clutch-adjustment-question.html)

ajay450 12-28-2010 09:46 AM

Clutch Adjustment Question

I lubed my clutch cable. I turned the adjuster nut(down by the frame downtubes) to give slack to the cable and then disconnected the cable from the clutch handle. Lubed it and hooked it all back up with the proper freeplay. Question is: there is no need to have to make the clutch adjustment down by the clutch itself where you turn the adjuster all the way in and then back it off a half to a full turn, is there? What I'm wondering is just because you give a lot of slack to the cable does this require you make the readjustment procedure at the clutch itself.

Thanks for your input.

FastHoss 12-28-2010 09:55 AM

I only lube the cables at service intervals,adjusting the clutch behind the derby is done at that time.I don't think I would mess with it except that you are lubing the cable for a reason,was it not feeling right?

ajay450 12-28-2010 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by FastHoss (Post 7708651)
I only lube the cables at service intervals,adjusting the clutch behind the derby is done at that time.I don't think I would mess with it except that you are lubing the cable for a reason,was it not feeling right?

Everything feels fine. I was just wondering if when you loosen up the cable does that cause something to automatically go out of adjustment at the clutch, so that you need to make that adjustment as well. Just being paranoid.

Jackie Paper 12-28-2010 10:21 AM

2 cents

The adjustment 1/16-1/8 freeplay at the lever is to insure the cable has a little slack so it does not hold the throwout bearing in (far right side were cable goes in transmission) The 1/2-3/4 turn backoff of the clutch adjustment is so you have enough travel in lever to completely disengage clutch yet insure its not keeping clutch spring from completely pressing on clutch plates. I have never bothered to lube clutch cable. To me that part is a waste of time. However my bike is an 04 with only 40K on it. If your 1/2-3/4 is correct, no messing with the lever end will not affect it since the normal adjustment procedure is to do that last.

ajay450 12-28-2010 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by grf000 (Post 7708756)
The adjustment 1/16-1/8 freeplay at the lever is to insure the cable has a little slack so it does not hold the throwout bearing in (far right side were cable goes in transmission) The 1/2-3/4 turn backoff of the clutch adjustment is so you have enough travel in lever to completely disengage clutch yet insure its not keeping clutch spring from completely pressing on clutch plates. I have never bothered to lube clutch cable. To me that part is a waste of time. However my bike is an 04 with only 40K on it. If your 1/2-3/4 is correct, no messing with the lever end will not affect it since the normal adjustment procedure is to do that last.

My bike is an 04 Fatboy with only 6900 miles on it. Bought it a few months ago with 6200 on it and assumed the cable had never been lubed. Pretty easy and quick to do.

I was pretty sure that just lubing the cable didn't require the adjustment behind the derby but just wanted to run that by someone. Never hurts to ask. Thanks. Thanks FastHoss too.

McRider 12-28-2010 04:33 PM

Every time I loosened the adjuster all the way to lube the cable or when I replaced the levers I had to adjust the clutch behind the derby cover. I'm not sure why but the clutch did not function correctly until I did.