Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's Backrest for Deluxe & Reach Seat by HD

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 01:33 PM
BhamSparkles
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver's Backrest for Deluxe & Reach Seat by HD

Hi. I just bought a deluxe in December, and love it. I really love the railed seat look.
I am short - 5'2" with short inseam - about 28/29. My boots help me with touching the ground, but I know for handling the bike I am going to have to do something. First though - in order to ride I need a backrest. I was looking at 'firehousecustoms' backrests last week, but now there is a message say 'inventory on hold'.

A couple of questions:
BACKREST
1) Anyone know of a company that I can get a backrest for and keep the rail on the standard seat?

OR
2) Can someone with a Reach Seat or Super Reduced Reach Seat on a Deluxe give me some feed back. I don't think I like the looks of the reach seat on the deluxe, but I may have to do it
I really want to be able to handle the bike.
THANKS

Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

As for the backrest, check out the old heritage backrests that connect directly to the seat rail. They made 2 sizes. I bought the taller one and the taller seat rail to hold it. They stopped making them years ago so they're now only available through 2ndary market. Got mine on ebay.

I'm only 5'4" so we put on new bars on our Deluxe that helped us sit up a little straighter. Didn't like the looks of the reach seat. But it would work well for you.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:37 PM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Get some progressive 422's and lower/ adjust to what height works best for you. Put your money into that instead of the seat.

Old 01-03-2011, 02:59 PM
ed parolini
Tourer

Mustang seat/with backrest. Thought you might like to look. Seat height same as factory seat but more comfortable. For two-up riding, Mustang makes 14" wide passenger seat. Mine goes on and off as needed. I like the solo look. The stock passenger pillion is less than good for other than short rides. I spent some time looking for backrest to go with stock seat (I also like the rail) and didn't find anything I liked. Now, I'm glad I went with Mustang.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:02 PM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just get an air ride, you can slam it and peddle around and then raise it when your ready to ride so you hace clearance

Old 01-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Lucky22
Tourer

I would go for a low solo seat and some long pullback risers. Don't forget that a backrest is a pain in the *** when you have short legs and you wanna step of the bike. For second if you want a backrest don't forget that you back needs to be against it to have some benefit from it. You could also lower the bike.

Last edited by Lucky22; 01-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:31 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

You can have your stock seat reworked by meancity cycles which will be less expensive than a new seat. Shaving some of the width off the horn of the Deluxe seat my be enough to allow you to flatfoot the bike. Removing material in the seat area may or may not affect riding comfort depending on what sort of padding they use. If you check the forum main page you'll see them listed under Sponsoring Vendors. They will be better able to tell you exactly what they can do for you.

I bought the Firehouse Customs backrest for my wife's 08 Deluxe. She too likes the stock seat rail. The backrest had some spring to it which I corrected by placing a piece of rubber between the rail and backrest. Though it's not adjustable, if you want to keep your stock seat rail this will be the least expensive option if you want a backrest. If you go with it check with them to see if you can return it if you don't like it.

Far as the Mustang seat goes, it does have a nice adjustable backrest but if the seat is anything like the 17.5" wide touring one I have it's going to have a wide horn on it which will reduce your leg reach. Mine also puts me back about 3/4-1" more which is probably not something you would want.

Old 01-03-2011, 03:55 PM
ed parolini
Tourer

Mustang backrest does fold down for getting on/off.

Last edited by ed parolini; 01-03-2011 at 03:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-03-2011, 07:52 PM
CCDluxe
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also 5' 2" - Here's what all I did to get comfortable with mine...
Sent the seat to Mean City Cycles and had the sides shaved and some padding added to the back to push me forward a tad.
Found the Springer seat rail and low and high pads (I also liked the looks of the seat rail and didn't want to sacrifice that)
Had the rear lowered
Changed to Heritage style touring bars for height and pullback.

It is super comfy for me now! Good luck! You just have to find what works for you!

Old 01-03-2011, 08:20 PM
DeLuxeLady
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My understanding is that with the newer Deluxe's like yours there is the ability to narrow the horn. I know I read about the underside of the front of the seat pan collapsing somewhere....can't seem to find it now.

Lowering is another great option (probably what I would try next) as are changing out the bars, and of course the seat as you mentioned. I would try one thing at a time to see how it fits and feels rather than replace everything. The bike is very balanced on it's own and stock there are only a few times (steep or odd angles surfaces) where I can only get one foot down and feel awkward.

The springer backrest is great for highway riding, and you won't have a problem getting your foot over it, but it is pricey and hard to find. Additionally, you may still want to get the seat re-shaped as jimmers suggests.

Quick Reply: Driver's Backrest for Deluxe & Reach Seat by HD