Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1996 Fatboy Fluid Change

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:13 AM
leedawg77
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Fatboy Fluid Change

I changed all the fluids in my Fatboy last night for the first time. Had no issues except for one. The transmission drain plug (torx) sits right above a wiring harness and is on the side of the transmission case. Is there some sort of device that would work well in the future for draining the trans oil away from the frame of the bike. As it drained it ran right over the frame and wiring harness. I wiped it down very well, but would like to avoid in the future. I can probably come up with some tubing of sorts, but didn't know if Harley made a tool for this. Wish the drain plug was under the trans like some other models.

Secondly, I see that Harley makes a "Oil Catcher Drain Oil Funnel" for when removing the oil filter for later models. Do they have an equivalent for the EVO models? I was thinking of just cutting up a plastic gutter extender for future use, but if they make a tool that would probably be better.

Thanks all for your help.

Last edited by leedawg77; 02-18-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:17 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by leedawg77
I changed all the fluids in my Fatboy last night for the first time. Had no issues except for one. The transmission drain plug (torx) sits right above a wiring harness and is on the side case of the transmission case. Is there some sort of device that would work well in the future for draining the trans oil away from the frame of the bike. As it drained it ran right over the frame and wiring harness. I wiped it down very well, but would like to avoid in the future. I can probably come up with some tubing of sorts, but didn't know if Harley made a tool for this. Wish the drain plug was under the trans like some other models.

Secondly, I see that Harley makes a "Oil Catcher Drain Oil Funnel" for when removing the oil filter for later models. Do they have an equivalent for the EVO models? I was thinking of just cutting up a plastic gutter extender for future use, but if they make a tool that would probably be better.

Thanks all for your help.
Some people cut a 2 liter bottle in half and put it under the oil filter.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:23 AM
leedawg77
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nice

Originally Posted by Mike T
Some people cut a 2 liter bottle in half and put it under the oil filter.
I didn't even think about that. That would be a nice cheap solution. Thanks for the tip.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I gotta 98 Fatboy and no, there isnt a good way to do the tranny, its just a mess. But what the hell, wipe it off good and ride it hard.