Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:32 AM
Quicksilver2002
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heritage vs. Deluxe

I've been trying to figure this out, but can't seem to find the answer so I'm hoping you guys can help me out. I'm wondering what the differance is between a de-bagged heritage and a Deluxe. I like the looks of the deluxe but would like to have the windsheild and bags of a heritage (quick detach). For some reason a de-bagged heritage doesn't look like a deluxe to me and I can't figure out why. I know the brake/turn signal bar is different, but other than that I don't know. Can someone help me out? I have a chance to get a 05 heritage, but this is keeping me from making a decision! Please help! lol

Old 03-02-2011, 12:54 AM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There are probably two major differences when looking at the two. One is obvious and the other less so. The obvious one is the exhaust. Providing that they are both stock, the exhaust on the Heritage is staggered and the mufflers taper at the ends. The Deluxe has the shotgun style which means that both pipes are almost the same length and the mufflers are slash cut at the ends without tapering. The not so obvious visual difference is that the Deluxe sits lower to the ground due to being equipped with low profile rear suspension direct from the factory. If you like a slightly lower seating position then the Deluxe has the advantage although you can always lower the Heritage with the same style shocks.

Other than that it is just styling cues such as the Deluxe having bullet style turn signals versus the Heritage's flat lens signals. Also the Deluxe uses a classic style tombstone tail light. The heritage has the more contemporary square light.

Lastly the Deluxe has lower bars...more akin to beach bars where as the Heritage has taller mini-ape style bars. In my mind the taller bars seem less natural on these bikes when they have no bags or other detachable equipment but that is strictly my opinion.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:36 AM
Nameless.
Tourer

Heritage has some sort of light on the front fender too. Atleast the ones I've seen had them. Not sure if they're factory equiped or not

Old 03-02-2011, 01:44 AM
SMF
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yea the front fender light

Old 03-02-2011, 03:33 AM
dfndr
Road Master

skeezmachine, thanks for the detailed answer. I've always wondered what shotgun pipes were!

Old 03-02-2011, 04:36 AM
Phantomryder
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quicksilver, when I purchased my 2010 Heritage, I was leaning towards a Deluxe. But I needed a windshield and saddlebags, so the price of the Heritage was more attractive with those components rather than add them to a Deluxe for more money. I have quick release bags on my Heritage so I feel that you can maximize your purchase by getting a Heritage. Just my two cents...

Old 03-02-2011, 06:44 AM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default diofference

the deluxe sits lower

Old 03-02-2011, 09:18 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 813 Likes on 799 Posts

dont forget theres uaually white walls on lux too.

Skeez did a good write up,, only I don't understand the Square Headlight comment on the Heritate.
Most Lux's headlight I've seen look pretty much the same as the Heritage's and vice-virsa ,, maybe I better look closer next time.

either way I really like the two driving/passing lights on the sides of the main beam..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:32 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Also the studed seat on the Heritage, rear T/S bar. on the Deluxe the Floor boards handlebar risers and bars are different. The Deluxe also has IMO the nicer Aux Light Bar (spots).

IMO box stock the Heritage is the better value if you are not looking at anything but what you get with the bike and are going to ride it as is. They are the same basic bike expept the Heritage you get windshield, and bags (HD parts cost about $ 1300.00) to lower the bike using bolts only less than $ 100.00.

But from a styling point of view if you like the Deluxe to make a Heritage look like a Deluxe you need to lower it (100.00), add white walls (300.00), add a tombstone tail light (140.00) add a different T/S bar (150.00) .

if I was buying another Id go Deluxe and add the Windshield and bags, IMO you can get much larger and nicer bags aftermarket anyway (I like the Springer style bags on a deluxe) of the FL hard bags with cyclevisions brackets and a detachable windshield and your set to go.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:05 AM
jbg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by XARAN
Also the studed seat on the Heritage, rear T/S bar. on the Deluxe the Floor boards handlebar risers and bars are different. The Deluxe also has IMO the nicer Aux Light Bar (spots).

IMO box stock the Heritage is the better value if you are not looking at anything but what you get with the bike and are going to ride it as is. They are the same basic bike expept the Heritage you get windshield, and bags (HD parts cost about $ 1300.00) to lower the bike using bolts only less than $ 100.00.

But from a styling point of view if you like the Deluxe to make a Heritage look like a Deluxe you need to lower it (100.00), add white walls (300.00), add a tombstone tail light (140.00) add a different T/S bar (150.00) .

if I was buying another Id go Deluxe and add the Windshield and bags, IMO you can get much larger and nicer bags aftermarket anyway (I like the Springer style bags on a deluxe) of the FL hard bags with cyclevisions brackets and a detachable windshield and your set to go.
I agree with everything XARAN said. Also...I believe the Deluxe comes with more chrome.

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Deluxe