Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

27 hours + 1 welded crank and we are smooth again

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2011, 11:34 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default 27 hours + 1 welded crank and we are smooth again

My 2000 Fatboy with 51,000 miles was literally shaking itself to death. Riding home Super Bowl Sunday, I decided to tear it down and fix the issue before it broke.
9 hours later the next day, we had the motor in the bench. Everything looked good until we noticed the balancer gear had shifted 60* from it's normal position.
Bought a trued and welded crank for $450, picked up a new cam plate, oil pump and stock cams for $50, gaskets,rings, bearings, balancer chain and guides, and various items for $240, $350 for my builder to disassemble the cases and reassemble the bottom end.
18 hours to install the engine and reassemble the bike. This was not a project for the faint of heart, lol.
196 miles on it so far and it is smoooth. Everything it working so well, I had to go buy the quiet baffles for my V&H true duals cause my exhaust was really loud. My buddy that rides with me all the time said I had to move to the back of the pack if I left it as it was.
It was a budget build and I'm real happy. With the pipes, carb work and Screamin Eagle ignition, it's a strong runner. And the bottom end is done and can handle the cams and big bore kit when I'm ready.
It'll be all broke in by the time we head to Laughlin!

Old 03-15-2011, 01:22 AM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Also, this whole issue was caused by the outer race spinning on the crank next to the counter balance gear. It would literally spin like a bushing on the crank. My builder and also a crank repair shop had never seen this and they thought my crank had hardening issues. Since I started this repair, I've talked with lots of shops and each one had a CB engine in their shop for issues. Those people were just lucky enough to have extended warranty's, lol. The one thing I have learned is that the counter balanced motors are not made to turn more than 5,800 rpm's max, or you could have longevity issues.