Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   SE clutch spring (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/627120-se-clutch-spring.html)

hdspringer02 04-01-2011 06:07 PM

SE clutch spring

I put a 95 in big bore and had some head work done over the winter. I've noticed a little bit of clutch slipping. I order the SE clutch spring and am going to do the install this weekend. Anything I need to know about doing this? My plan is to drain the primary oil, remove outer primary cover, remove the "clutch bolts", and then remove and replace the spring. Is that all that there is to it? Any gotchas?

Fatbouy 04-01-2011 06:14 PM

I'm interested in this,I've had one in my tool cabinet for about 3 yrs.

DR. V-TWIN 04-01-2011 07:09 PM

I wish you would have said you needed one. I have a brand new one here from my 95 kit that I have never used. No clutch slipping at all after my build, but of course I had no head work either. My wife keeps saying I need head work so I stop spending on the bike. LOL

Drew

Blk and Chrome 04-01-2011 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by hdspringer02 (Post 8131662)
I put a 95 in big bore and had some head work done over the winter. I've noticed a little bit of clutch slipping. I order the SE clutch spring and am going to do the install this weekend. Anything I need to know about doing this? My plan is to drain the primary oil, remove outer primary cover, remove the "clutch bolts", and then remove and replace the spring. Is that all that there is to it? Any gotchas?

thats about it, very easy then adj the clutch, it has a lot harder pull than stock

tlb 04-01-2011 08:03 PM

Drew,
Anytime my wife says "I need head work" I agree with her.

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN (Post 8131941)
I wish you would have said you needed one. I have a brand new one here from my 95 kit that I have never used. No clutch slipping at all after my build, but of course I had no head work either. My wife keeps saying I need head work so I stop spending on the bike. LOL

Drew

DR. V-TWIN 04-01-2011 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by tlb (Post 8132237)
Drew,
Anytime my wife says "I need head work" I agree with her.

:icon_that:

Drew

Fatbob usmc EOD 04-01-2011 08:19 PM

If you want either kind of head work don't get married. Then they become worse then stealerships :icon_gunhead:

Fatboy Brian 04-01-2011 08:21 PM

What kind of oil are you running in the primary? You might try a oil specifically designed for the primary. Just a thought.

MLWilson 04-01-2011 08:57 PM

I have the clutch spring in all my builds. The pull becomes normal after a week. I like the slightly harder pull because feels more positive IMO. A stock clutch pull to me feels like a wet noodle:-)

Blk and Chrome 04-01-2011 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by fatbob usmc eod (Post 8132306)
if you want either kind of head work don't get married. Then they become worse then stealerships :icon_gunhead:

lmao!!!!