Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

head gasket 01 softtail evo

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 07:27 PM
steve82172
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default head gasket 01 softtail evo

I have a bad head gasket on a motor that has about 8K on rebuild . it was running pretty bad and discoverd the head gasket problem a leak down test confirmed my thaughts. now i need to know what is involved in replacing this and if a person that is pretty handy with a wrench but not a pro, I have done full engine rebilds on cars and such can undertake with out a complete mess of special tools i understand that the head bolts need a special wrench. should i replace the the base gasket or o ring not sure what it is as both have been referd to in other forums. any info would be greatly appreciated

Old 03-31-2011, 08:35 PM
stevelonewolf
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can read a sevice manual, you can do it. Unless it's a custom bike, an 01' is not an evo,it's a twin cam. Also,if you plan on doing the one,do the other head gasket as well.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:06 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by steve82172
I have a bad head gasket on a motor that has about 8K on rebuild . it was running pretty bad and discoverd the head gasket problem a leak down test confirmed my thaughts. now i need to know what is involved in replacing this and if a person that is pretty handy with a wrench but not a pro, I have done full engine rebilds on cars and such can undertake with out a complete mess of special tools i understand that the head bolts need a special wrench. should i replace the the base gasket or o ring not sure what it is as both have been referd to in other forums. any info would be greatly appreciated
Replace the head gaskets with Cometic, torque to spec and you won't have to worry about blown head gaskets anymore.

Old 04-02-2011, 07:47 AM
steve82172
Advanced

it is a custom and i am not 100% on the evo but my research tells me evo

Old 04-02-2011, 07:48 AM
steve82172
Advanced

that is the brand the suplier told me to use alo thanks

Old 04-02-2011, 09:19 AM
Doug S
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Take a read through here: there is a table with the differences.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-...win_Cam_engine

I had a 99 FXSTC and it was the last EVO year for that model.

You don't have to do the base gaskets but I kind of think that if the head gasket went after only 8K, I would suspect either cheap gaskets or a so-so builder and would probably do it all.

D

Old 04-02-2011, 09:40 AM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

it is a custom and i am not 100% on the evo but my research tells me evo
If you can't visually see the difference between an Evo and a Twin Cam, I'd leave the wrenching to the pro's. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it amazes me that you don't even know what motor you have. Post a pic of the engine so others can tell you what you have.

EVO

TWIN CAM

Last edited by PanHeadRich; 04-02-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-02-2011, 11:05 PM
steve82172
Advanced

Originally Posted by PanHeadRich
If you can't visually see the difference between an Evo and a Twin Cam, I'd leave the wrenching to the pro's. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it amazes me that you don't even know what motor you have. Post a pic of the engine so others can tell you what you have.

EVO

TWIN CAM
i was 99% i had an evo motor and i did verify that given i had confliting report that in 01 a softail had the tc it made me question what i had but i do have an evo and i do understand your point if i dont know what i have let the pros fix it

Old 04-02-2011, 11:22 PM
steve82172
Advanced

head gaskets replaced went well, and replaced lowers also was pretty easy but now i have a bad oil leak on the one of my push rod tubes i assume i messed up an o ring or its not seated properly has any one had an issue such as this is there an obvious mistake i made other than me working on it ha ha ha . by the way it is on 01 custom bike not harley frame or much else for that mater with the harley evo motor pretty much a stock motor bored .020 over and now has .030 head gaskets instead of .045 thickness. cases are stamped s and s instead of harley but jugs up all stamped hd

Old 04-03-2011, 06:51 AM
Mike T
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

head gaskets replaced went well, and replaced lowers also was pretty easy but now i have a bad oil leak on the one of my push rod tubes i assume i messed up an o ring or its not seated properly has any one had an issue such as this is there an obvious mistake i made other than me working on it ha ha ha . by the way it is on 01 custom bike not harley frame or much else for that mater with the harley evo motor pretty much a stock motor bored .020 over and now has .030 head gaskets instead of .045 thickness. cases are stamped s and s instead of harley but jugs up all stamped hd
Make sure the push rod tubes are seated good with an o-ring in place. They normally don't leak.

Quick Reply: head gasket 01 softtail evo