Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1997 Heritage carb issue

Old 04-10-2011, 05:05 PM
DoobsLee
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 Heritage carb issue

Well this is my first post, ive been on the site all day getting good info for my issue, and i think i have it resolved. Just wanted to check with some people more informed than I. Went riding yesterday, parked the bike and noticed the overflow dumping gas. I kept the fuel switch off when it was parked and it stopped, then starts again as soon as i switch the fuel on. I started working on it this morning, i read that there was probably some residue in the carb keeping the float and needle from seating properly. Took the carb off, cleaned it up real good, started it up with no leaking but a very high idle. I adjusted the cable at the throttle also as far as the screw will tighten, and it's still idling slightly (maybe 200 rpm's) higher than before. Just wondering if the high idle was just strained since I didn't disassemble the throttle cable pulley at the carb or if it's an issue of too much air getting in due to bad reassembly of the carb or something along those lines. Great forum, i've read a ton of good advice all day and hope i got this issue fixed.

Old 04-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

If it's a stock harley carb there is an idle adjustment on the carb itself. As far as that goes, every carb has an idle adjustment on them. You can't really adjust it at the throttle. Mine had a black **** on it.

Old 04-11-2011, 07:32 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It is a good practice to disconnect the cables when you remove the carb from the bike... they're easy to reconnect. They are not the way to fine tune the idle... go to http://www.harley-performance.com/ha...arburetor.html Overall the best carb tuning site I have ever read...