Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How freely should a front tire spin?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 08:46 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default How freely should a front tire spin?

I had my 02 Fat Boy on the lift and notice the front wheel doesn't spin that freely. If I try hard to make it spin after my hand leaves the wheel it might only go for another 1/2 turn.

Is this normal?

I recently replaced the rotor and pads so I might take off the caliper and then see how it spins.

Your replies appreciated.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:41 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Expert mechanic replies are welcome, but Ill settle for far less.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:50 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

That is perfectly normal!

Or maybe I should say that is perfectly acceptable, because "normal" is not always the same as desireable.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:28 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

It should turn ~1 1/2 or more. Most likely your pistons, pad pins need cleaning and lube.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:00 AM
handyhoward
Road Master

I've owned a good amount of bikes in my day and have had just as many front wheel spin rates. The most important thing is that the wheel is free to spin without doing damage. Some calipers "hug" the rotor a little tighter than others... sometimes there is just the slightest "warp" in a rotor... etc. These things are "normal" and needn't be worried about...

Old 04-28-2011, 08:35 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by handyhoward
I've owned a good amount of bikes in my day and have had just as many front wheel spin rates. The most important thing is that the wheel is free to spin without doing damage. Some calipers "hug" the rotor a little tighter than others... sometimes there is just the slightest "warp" in a rotor... etc. These things are "normal" and needn't be worried about...

yeah when i reassembled my front brake and rotor and all that good stuff my front wheel didn't spin entirely freely, and it was only because the brake pads are always in the slightest contact with the rotor and slows it down. if you're worried about it, then you could always try this..

get up to speed (about 35-40mph usually).. get your balance, and let go of the handlebars. If all is well, the motorcycle will continue straight and true, and if there's a problem, you'll quickly notice that you drift off to one direction or another.. i'm not talking about throwing your hands in the air like a roller coaster, just let go so the front end runs freely.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Cleaning pistons and pins is "routine" maintenance. 1/2 turn is telling you something is not right. At minimum its causing excessive wear on pads, rotors, heat, eventually the pistons and or pad pids could even bind up and not work correctly. Providing less braking, stopping power.

From Lyndall

The other problem that causes pistons to drag and hang-up is that since there are no dust boots on the pistons, brake dust and general road dirt accumulates around the pistons. Once the brake cleaner spray has successfully removed all of the debris, take your flat headed screw driver and place the blade in between the old pads and force the pistons back into the caliper. Have you assistant pull on the brake lever once again and repeat the process as described above until all four pistons move relatively freely.

http://lyndallracingbrakes.com/service_tech.htm

A few days ago another members front wheel did not turn very much either. The wrench who worked on his bike over tq'ed the front axle, binding the wheel.

Your bike is telling you something. It is your bike, your decision.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:15 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Well there you go JohnK... A few replies and about a 50/50 split on opinions. So which do you want to believe?

My experience on this forum with technical issues is that way too many people who don't understand the mechanics of the issue at hand chime in with misleading opinions and second-hand heresay. Others obsess over perceived problems that are just that - perceptions when nothing is in fact array.

Another issue is trying to diagnose a problem with only a description of the stated problem. Sometimes you need hands-on information to properly diagnose. Based on your description I do not think you have any problem, but without seeing it first hand I can't be certain.

I'll restate my opinion and the rationale for my opinion based on your description... More than likely, you have no problem. If the brakes were hanging up enough to be a concern you wouldn't even get a half turn of rotation out of your wheel. It would feel relatively tight while you were turning the wheel and the wheel would stop almost immediately once you let go. Then you might have a concern.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:26 PM
JohnK-NJ
Tourer

Thanks for your replies.

I took off front caliper and the wheels spins very freely (20+ times)

I only have maybe 5 miles on new rotor and pads maybe they need a little wear.

Old 04-28-2011, 07:38 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Clean pistons so they retract... lol

You do not need to take the caliper apart. Hold one side of pistons back with c clamp, push other pistons out a little with brake lever. Spray brake clean on them and clean with tooth brush or get a shoe lace, wrap around piston to remove dirt and brake dust. Then do other side. Clean pad pin. If it has grooves or is pitted, replace! Lube pad pin and back of brake pads. Reinstall caliper, Take 10 minutes! This is ROUTINE maintenance... lol

Lyndall knows more about brakes then any of us...