Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Springer Handlebar question: Opinions and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 08:14 AM
04Springer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Springer Handlebar question: Opinions and suggestions

About 2 years ago, I replaced the stock handlebars on my 04 FXSTS with a set of Wild1 Drag bars using stock risers. I love the look even though the throttle cables have put a couple chips on my tank. I got over it. Lately, I have been noticing that I am getting back pain after riding. One time my back stiffened up so bad I could not walk for 4 hours. Generally it happens if I haven't riden in a while (I know, ride more often right). I am chaulking it up to the hunch over riding position I have now. So, looking to make a change in hopes of eliminating the problem. My 2 options:

Get taller risers.
Stock risers are 4 inch. I could go up to a 6 inch and not have to change any cabling. This would put hand positioning at the same height as when it was stock. Or go even higher to an 8 inch riser. Would probably have switch some lines out. I have seen one Springer with 8 inch risers and broomstick bars and it looked pretty cool.

Wild 1 Outlawz Apes. http://www.wild1inc.com/orderWO622.html
Now, I am not really a fan of apes on a Springer. I don't know what it is, but I just dont think it flows all that well. I think it has something to do with the base of most apes being so wide (36-38 inches) and the "slimness" of the Springer's forks. But these Outlaw Bars from Wild 1 seem like they may flow a little bit better (They are only 33 inches wide). Downside is I would have to replace all lines and cables, but you gotta pay to play.

So, just polling the HD commnity for opinions or other options you may know about that I do not. Here are some pics of the bike for reference. A HUGE PLUS...would be if anyone could photochop the Outlawz bars onto the bike!!!

Old 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
Milty
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Risers seem like the easiest fix. What about dogbone risers? They come in 5-6" lengths and put the bars 1" closer to you.
As far as apes go I have Nash midget gimps 14" and they fit the front end perfect because they are much narrower than say some offerings from wild one. Most comftorable riding position that I've found. Look on Nash's site they have measurements for each of their bars. Br custom can make pretty much anything. For now I would find the best seated riding position and make your bars or risers fit you.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:40 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

I love the outlawz on a springer. Someone here put them on a Bones and they look killer. that will definitely help with your back issues as well. new cables will be needed but for comfort it will be well worth the money spent. I can get you all taht stuff too if you are interested. Email me at DREW@DRVTWIN.COM or PM me.

Drew

Old 05-05-2011, 03:59 PM
DC Mike
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm thinking about these. Second row....

http://www.accutronix.com/products/risers/R2.shtml

Mike

Old 05-05-2011, 07:20 PM
bikerlaw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 485 Likes on 353 Posts

Apes and Springers. They just go hand in hand.

Old 05-05-2011, 09:31 PM
matt816
Tourer

I was in the same boat and decided to make these. Yes I made them, .095 wall chromoly, tubing bender, drill press and lathe with knurling tool. Sent them to St. Louis Plating, total investment I think around $130. Way comfortable, fit the springer vintage look, I think

Attached Thumbnails Springer Handlebar question:  Opinions and suggestions-100_0535.jpg   Springer Handlebar question:  Opinions and suggestions-100_0529.jpg  
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM
darksidebones
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

brettnbama has 14" outlaws on his cross bones....look sweet defenetly flows with the front end.....check it out

Old 05-06-2011, 07:30 AM
HDBiga
Advanced

I have the 6" risers and drag bars on xbones. It works well. It also allows me to sit a little more upright.

Old 05-06-2011, 07:38 AM
HDBiga
Advanced

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...with-pics.html

Here is the link to my bike. Do the riser change look wise you won't see a big difference at all.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:20 PM
04Springer
Advanced

Drew...regardless of what I get I am coming to you guys. You all helped me a couple times and nothing but good service.

Milty, assuming yours is a Springer...got any other pics?

If I go new risers, I will more than likely go Accutronix.

All the bikes are looking good. Leaning a little more to higher risers and may switch over to apes later. Still post up pics if you got em

Quick Reply: Springer Handlebar question: Opinions and suggestions