Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5K Service: Can I do myself and what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 08:53 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 5K Service: Can I do myself and what do I need?

Like the title says I need to do my 5K service in about 400 miles. I got a plethora of tools and mechanically inclined. Just wondering if I should have it done or do it myself. If I do it, what do I need and who has best prices on fluids?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do it yourself and save a bunch. Gasket kit from dealer = $17, might as well get a filter from them while your there. As far as oils, I use Mobil one or Amsoil 15w50 or 20w50 synthetic in the crankcase, Amsoil 75w140 in the Trans and just a good quality oil with no added friction providers in the primary.

Other than price there is nothing wrong with the MOCO's oils if you want to save a stop. I just buy it in bulk to save some bucks.

It is fairly straight forward. Drain the oil from the tank at the plug under the frame by the shocks, remove old filter, add about 4 oz to the new filter and install, replace tank plug and fill (I think three quarts total but check the manual), then remove the drain plug for the trans that is located between your shocks and above. Remove the trans dipstick to get it flowing a bit better. Once it finally drains, fill with your preferred fluid, I think it is 24 oz but again, always check the manual. Then over to the primary, remove the drain near the rear of your retracted kickstand, remove the Derby cover and inspection covers, adjust clutch and check for primary chain slack and adjust as needed while you wait for it to drain, replace the plug and add 1 quart of your choice of primary oil. Grease your neck bearings and if your brake pedal has a grease fitting that too, lube your cables, don't forget the clutch and check your break fluids, tire pressure and drive belt tension. Other than the typical checking of lights and such, I think that's it.

In all its 2 hours and at least 3 beers and a great time to really get to know your scoot.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:02 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Great! Thanks man. Is all the lubing and adjusting of cables and stuff in the manual?

Old 06-07-2011, 10:12 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

definitely do it urself,
I can't stress how important a torque wrench is, great investment, buy a decent one, and you won't strip anything and be happy all over.
Engine is straight forward,
Primary is just as easy but a few more bolts
Tranny is a breeze if you know the trick which is to put the bike really high and look at this Article

Have fun, do not be in a rush, I do it in rainy days and keep coffee/refreshments near by, I also use repair gloves (the ones that resist heat and slippage, I know I know, my hands are pretty LOL.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:28 AM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Thanks klf33! That's a great article. He needs one for the primary and engine although like you said it's pretty straight forward.

Should I buy oil at HD or somewhere else? I got a guy that deals with Amsoil and can get me a price.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:50 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

No worries man,

HD oil is fine , *Syn 3", I tried Amsoil in tranny (severe gear 75/90) and it was yucky if you ask me, made trans shifts really clunky, so Syn3 was better if you believe that !.

Next time I change Primary I will try something else for both Primary and Tranny.

Changing your oil and primary is really easy if you get a service manual, or just surf the youtube realm.

I have the FixMyHog and it is super neat for this .

Peace.

A.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All of this is covered in the manual. That is first if you don't have one. Get the MOCO manual not a clymer or such, there is no replacement for the original manual for YOUR bike. It will save you a ton of time and answer any questions you come up with.

As for the Moco oils, they are fine. I do lean toward synthetics but honestly if you are faithful in changing your fluids, dino will do just fine.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:30 PM
DrWalkinboner
Road Captain

Where do you get a MOCO manual? I tried googling it and came up empty.

Old 06-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

MOCO stands for Motor Company (Harley Davidson Motor Company). It's the company shop manual not Clymers. I have both because some of the pictures in the Clymers show things at a different angle.

Old 06-07-2011, 03:36 PM
95yj
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DrWalkinboner
Should I buy oil at HD or somewhere else? I got a guy that deals with Amsoil and can get me a price.
My opinion, and they vary, is that nothing can beat Amsoil 20W50 V-Twin in the engine. Just about anything will do in the primary that doesn't have anti friction additives which will screw with your clutch. Lots of different opinions on tranny oil. Some run ATF, some run the same as the engine (or all three holes for that matter), some think that the anti-shear in gear fluids are better than those in the Amsoil and want a good synthetic gear oil.

You can get good prices on Amsoil? That would be my preference. It actually costs me less than HD dino oil and a lot less than Syn3.

And yes, definitely do the service yourself if you are at all mechanically inclined. You'll know that everything was actually done and done correctly and you'll learn a lot about your bike in the process. Really helps when you're on the road and something doesn't feel right.

Quick Reply: 5K Service: Can I do myself and what do I need?