Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Tail wiring harness for Rocker (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/646980-tail-wiring-harness-for-rocker.html)

doggin_it 05-24-2011 04:56 PM

Tail wiring harness for Rocker

I am in the middle of installing a Heartland kit on my 09 Rocker. It seems there is alittle more to this then just swapping out a fender and seat. I have the Heartland rear signals in the mail and they should be here by the time the fenders come back from paint. I really dont want to cut the female side of the Rear tail/brake light plug in. Is there anywhere you can buy one of these HD plugins?

RocketRocker 05-24-2011 06:29 PM

Its funny you should ask, you can buy the molex/deutsch connector for 8.00 from the stealer and the pins but there are two capacitors soldered onto two ground wires (they are shrink wrapped but you can see the little boogers) that they do not sell. As a matter of fact you have to order the whole wiring harness to get those to capacitors (500).
So, my advice, get some 18 gauge wire, some molex pins/terminals and remove the stock turn signal wires from the back of the plug and run new wires to the heartland signals. Use a paper clip and GENTL press the tabs down and the old wires will just pop out of the plug. Hope this helps

doggin_it 05-24-2011 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by RocketRocker (Post 8365291)
Its funny you should ask, you can buy the molex/deutsch connector for 8.00 from the stealer and the pins but there are two capacitors soldered onto two ground wires (they are shrink wrapped but you can see the little boogers) that they do not sell. As a matter of fact you have to order the whole wiring harness to get those to capacitors (500).
So, my advice, get some 18 gauge wire, some molex pins/terminals and remove the stock turn signal wires from the back of the plug and run new wires to the heartland signals. Use a paper clip and GENTL press the tabs down and the old wires will just pop out of the plug. Hope this helps

Thanks for the info RocketRocker. I have the badlands illuminator and the heartland signals are in the mail. I just wanted to leave the stock fender and lights intacked.
It would be great to just find the plug and pins

j33ptj 05-24-2011 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The connector you need is part number 72488-07BK, they can also supply the pins (sorry don't have part numbers for them).

I have attached the wiring diagram as my I have it on my rocker.

Please note that this is for a centre rear run/brake light and seperate indicators...

If you have further questions drop me a PM...

Robert

RocketRocker 05-24-2011 09:03 PM

j33ptj- that is some good gouge, this could be my electrical issue right now. Not trying to take over thread but I assumed that since the rear signals on our bikes have stock LEDs that a badlands was not required. What would happen if you didnt use the badlands on the rear fender? I have a similar set up as you have. Thanks

j33ptj 05-24-2011 10:45 PM

I replaced the rear indicators with Heartland Bullet LEDs, not using the stock lights!

ScottA320 02-27-2015 10:34 PM

I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question.

I've got an 09 rocker as well but I'm switching out the stock LED rear turn signals for standard bulb type. I've got the standard model Rocker but it has the C model chrome turn signals. I'm trying to get rid of the gray and chrome and go with black so the rear signals need to go. The stock signals are 4 wire and the aftermarket lights are 2 wire. Is there a way to connect the 2 wire lights without loosing any of the 3 functions, Tail, Turn and Brake? If not what replacement lights are out there that will work and look like the stock bullet lights, in black?

Thanks for the help.

Alain 02-28-2015 06:16 AM

Why not just paint the stock tail lights black?

That's what I did on my rocker two years ago. Did it in my garage with some primer and gloss black spray paint. They still look like they did they day I painted them.

UT-rckr 02-28-2015 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by ScottA320 (Post 13754451)
I know this is an old thread but I have a similar question.

I've got an 09 rocker as well but I'm switching out the stock LED rear turn signals for standard bulb type. I've got the standard model Rocker but it has the C model chrome turn signals. I'm trying to get rid of the gray and chrome and go with black so the rear signals need to go. The stock signals are 4 wire and the aftermarket lights are 2 wire. Is there a way to connect the 2 wire lights without loosing any of the 3 functions, Tail, Turn and Brake? If not what replacement lights are out there that will work and look like the stock bullet lights, in black?

Thanks for the help.

Yes, but it will require a Badlands Illuminator. There are probably other modules out there that will do this too, I just have experience with the Badlands model.

ScottA320 02-28-2015 05:38 PM

Painting them has always been an option but I wanted the smoked lenses to black them out and sense the lenses on the stock ones don't come off I figured after market or stock non LED. I didn't realize the wiring would be such that a 2 wire non LED wouldn't work. It seems that everyone is switching to LED and using one of these aftermarket boxes to run the LED's. I'm going the other way and I'm guessing that it's not going to work.