Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sportster versus fat boy

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:17 PM
Drdriller
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sportster versus fat boy

What is the difference between a sportster and fat boy in terms of acceleration, maneuverability, and top speed?

Old 05-24-2011, 07:24 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Drdriller
What is the difference between a sportster and fat boy in terms of acceleration, maneuverability, and top speed?
Acceleration about equal (stock 1200 Sportster vs stock 1584 FatBoy) due to weight differential. (More on this later)

Sportster is lighter and smaller, hence more maneuverable.

Top speed? Who cares? Neither of these bikes is about top speed OR acceleration. In fact, they are about everything EXCEPT those things. They are about the intangible qualities of the machines' personalities.

The FatBoy, though a Softail (firm ride), is far more comfortable overall, unless you are quite small of stature.

The following users liked this post:
Rrobinson (12-22-2019)
Old 05-24-2011, 07:27 PM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

like going from a Ford Taurus to a Cadillac STS.

I feel like my sportster 883 had more acceleration than my 1584cc fatboy, but it's also half the weight.. i'm probably wrong, but that's just how it "felt" to me.

maneuverability, i'm a big guy, i was 230lbs or so riding a 475lb bike, so i always felt top-heavy on the sportster. my fatboy lo i sit a lot lower on it than i did on the sporty, therefore i feel more comfortable with it. the fact that i'm now 205lbs and riding a 700+lb machine means it a ton easier to manuever..i don't feel top heavy anymore. at speed, I can make that 700lb beast do whatever I want it to, the weight doesn't feel like it's effecting anything unless i'm trying to push it out of a parking spot.. it's a lot harder to push a 700lb bike than a 475lb one.

top speed.. i had my 883 sportster up to 97mph top speed, the fatboy i've had up to 103mph, but never went any higher because i actually enjoy being alive.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:13 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

The Sportster is going to beat you up more the longer rides will be harder on one. The Fatboy will be a much smoother bike and the longer rides will be a lot easier on you. Watch out for a demo day locally and take a bunch of different bikes out. They have a couple coming up here in the Houston area.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
mistersoftail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I traded my 2005 Sporter 1200R in on my 2011 Heritage. Power and acceleration goes to the Sportster hands down. It had much more power than my new Heritage does. Comfort and looks go to my new Heritage, it's way more comfy and looks outstanding.

Old 05-24-2011, 09:04 PM
jbg
Road Warrior

I loved my Sportster and would still have it today if not for the longer rides. I ride my bike to work everyday and hands down, the Sportster was easier to get in and out of traffic with and just plain fun to ride. But for the 600+ mile weekend rides, I needed something a little less punishing. For under 70 mph, the Sportster is the bike to ride. But once you get going and once you're doing more of the long weekend rides...a Softail is more comfortable. I got the Deluxe first as a second bike, but after my wife rode it...she wouldn't ride the Sportster anymore. So I had to sell it and get myself a Fat Boy Lo. Love the Fatboy now. Love it.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:18 PM
bikersurgeon
Tourer

I rode a sporty 1200 and it reminded me a lot of my CR250 dirtbike....didn't have forward controls. I was shocked at it's abundant acceleration. it's agility is nice and not surprising. love the way they sound! my fatty (like stated earlier) is like a cadillac in comparison.....but I want a sporty too...and a rocker....and a crossbones....and and and

Old 05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member

I am in the camp that the FB handles better, but most don't agree. It certainly rides better. And do a big bore on the Fatboy and it will eat up a stock 1200 sportster.

Shakey

Old 05-25-2011, 05:20 AM
MADDOG187
Road Master

i had a nightster , and while it seemed fast enough , and handled well for a Harley , it was bloody uncomfortable , i found the fat boy much better but not great , so i ended up with a fat bob , which i love , kinda like a big comfy sportster, smoother and faster than the 1200N & fat boy , i would love a SG or RK but i bottled it on spending that much cash , £12000 on the fat bob was enough for now , maybe next time ,

Old 05-25-2011, 05:41 AM
Challenger
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded rides yesterday with a friend who has a fatboy lo,(I have XL1200C) I was amazed in that few miles how much better the ride is on the softail but,,,,the sporty would take his lunch money without any difficulty in straight line acceleration....

Quick Reply: Sportster versus fat boy