Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any info on a rocker style clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain
Received 149 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Any info on a rocker style clutch?

Alright so im going through with a rocker clutch and a jockey shifter. I just was wondering if anyone has tried this setup or knows how to get it to work with a softail. I really dont want to go at this blindly and randomly throw parts and brackets at it. I think I found a jockey shifter for about $80 and it looks pretty nice and I also found the clutch kit for $150 which is nearly half off of what ive seen elsewhere.

Im dead set on this setup I was just hoping anyone has a little info so I can get it started and hopefully not get to stuck on getting it to work.... oh yeah I think im putting the bobbed fender back on my bike. Without a fender looks nice but I think it looks a little better with the fender on and the 3" springs.

Thanks guys.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:02 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Post a link to the clutch you found please.

Drew

Old 05-27-2011, 10:17 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

I found two im honestly not sure what the difference is.

Top is $150 bottom $250. Im trying to look into what I need for a bracket and a cable. Does the rocker clutch automatically rock backwards so you have to keep your foot on it to keep it engaged?

EDIT: Nevermind I saw this video and now I know how it fully works. I was hoping it wasnt the way I thought above.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-yEJSY9FK8

Anyways here are the two clutch pedals. Let me know which one will work if you know I'd like to get everything ordered and started... I really want this jockey shift. My car puts a big smile on my face and I want the bike to do the same again.
http://www.debrix.com/Black-Rocker-C...22-1016-vt.htm

http://www.debrix.com/Black-Jockey-R...22-0732-vt.htm

Last edited by Kadorja; 05-27-2011 at 11:08 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 12:11 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

Thanks for the info. Looks to be Taiwan Ted (Custom Chrome) stuff. A regular foot clutch is not tahtdifficult to operate either. That is what I run.

Drew

Old 05-28-2011, 10:42 AM
Kadorja
Road Captain

There any major difference between the two of them? Just one being a cheaper made part? I figure I'll need to mount it with a bracket or somehow just the right spacers and get a shorter clutch cable. The actual jockey shifter shouldnt be too hard if its short it shouldnt flop around and if it needs to be longer I can just brace it. For right now im throwing my bobbed fender back on... that should keep me occupied for a while.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:01 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor

A regular foot clutch needs to be held in with your foot if it is in gear as opposed to the rocker clutch which does not. I put my bike in neutral as I am rolling to a stop so I don't have to hold the clutch in. I hoenstly don't klnow too much about rocker clutches.

Drew

Old 05-28-2011, 12:22 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Taiwan Tedd is a sometimes pejorative for V-Twin. Some people have good luck with his stuff, some don't. For Harley Davidson, the rocker pedal is the "regular" clutch pedal. So called "suicide" set-ups were originally developed for racers and those that wanted to act like racers. A rocker clutch can be adjusted to whatever tension you like. The default position (where the spring pulls the pedal to) is the clutch dis-engaged for safety. This is the opposite for suicide set-ups, hence the name. I adjust mine to work very smoothly, yet to stay engaged when riding. When I've had it too loose, it is a PITA to keep your foot on it all the time. It takes some practice to get the adjustment perfect.

Old 05-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Well its only $150 so lets see if I can get it to work... otherwise it goes on craigslist or ebay lol....

This really sucks im stuck here waiting for a conceal carry holster, k-member, short throw shifter, shaker hood scoop and now a rocker clutch for the past two weeks. Nothing is coming in till Wednesday at the earliest.

Old 05-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Kadorja
Road Captain

Alright well I was skimming through the latest American Iron mag and I saw this picture of a 46 knucklehead with a rocker clutch setup. I'm sure the clutch uses this rod as the clutch 'cable' but I just wanted to double check. Its the same pedal I ordered so hopefully all I need to do is slip a clutch cable in that hole and route it to the other side to the clutch and get everything adjusted correctly.

Anyways got a decent picture of the bike so if someone can confirm this... and give me a little hope. Im getting this damn thing to work

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

Yes the big rod is basically the "clutch cable" It's a solid rod that runs back to the tranny... on the top of the tranny it has a lever the rod attatches to and seperates the clutch plates when the lever goes back.
Spent myself a year re-building a 1951 panhead with the same clutch/tranny setup. Do not know how that would work with the modern v-twin tranny with the cable on the opposite side... I know I've seen kits out there.
Good luck!

Quick Reply: Any info on a rocker style clutch?