Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP!! Cavalry Fiberglass hard saddlebags for softails.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
mr1gebby
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!! Cavalry Fiberglass hard saddlebags for softails.

I ordered a set of the Cavalry hard bags back in August. The bags themselves are very well constructed and look really nice. I have no problems with them at all. What I do have a problem with are the mounting brackets that came with them. The brackets attach to the two bolts on the frame horn / fender support, where you would attach your quick release mounts for a sissy bar. There is nothing attaching the bottom of the bracket anywhere to keep the bags from swaying around and hitting your swingarm.

The particular set of bags I have from Cavalry are what they call the "wave face". Talking to them they do not make that bag anymore. They make the smooth face and the ribbed face bags. They have new brackets for those on their website that are more along the lines of a traditional HD hardbag mounting bracket which are supported on the bottom.

I've talked to them on the phone and a lady always answers and says thats how the brackets were designed and they should work. She also says that the brackets currently advertised on their website will not work for the particular bags I have from them. I'm guessing she has never been on a bike before that was actually going down the road, hitting potholes, etc, that would require the bags be supported from the bottom to keep them out of the swingarm.

Has anyone else ran into this with the Cavalry bags?

Attached Thumbnails HELP!!  Cavalry Fiberglass hard saddlebags for softails.-1.jpg   HELP!!  Cavalry Fiberglass hard saddlebags for softails.-imag0275.jpg  
Old 06-03-2011, 02:05 PM
purecountry13b
Tourer

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, but would love to see a pic of your entire bike. Looks like a bonz with a fatboy fender? Plz post pics!

Old 06-03-2011, 02:13 PM
06 flstfise
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am running their conversion bracket for touring style bags with no issue. Just from looking at the pics of the brackets it appears you can adjust the height, did you try raising them up? Or you could just make a second piece to stiffin them up. It looks to me like they get supported from the bottom as well. If you could take a pic from the rear showing how they mount may have some other ideas as well. I had a good experience with them so sorry to hear that you have not.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:08 PM
mr1gebby
Novice

Yes, you can adjust the height. And the bags themselves are also supported from the bottom. The problem is that with these brackets, there is nothing running from the bottom of the bracket to the frame to stiffen everything up. All the bolts can be as tight as possible, and with the two flimsy "adjustable" top pieces being the only thing the bags are bolted to the bike with, the bottom of the bags and brackets still sway in the breeze so to speak and will run into the swingarm.

Old 03-06-2012, 06:54 PM
Hotrod03
Stage I
Default Softail mounting bracket

If you don't mind spending another $300 (or less), try ordering the Cycle Visions Bagger-Tail for Softail - Black Bag Mounts CV-7200A. I have a friend that used this with the Cavalry hard bags and they fit great. What he liked about it is how each side of the brackets connect, giving it a good, solid and secure fit. Both side brackets are secured and tucked up under the rear fender connecting the two together. The cross bracing is tucked under so well, it is hard to even see it. You can order them in black or chrome. His conversion looked so good, I will be making the conversion myself to get rid of my leather bags. BTW, we both have late model Heritage Softails.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:13 PM
rickb
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

How about welding on a support you can make? Sure you could fab up something and weld it on yourself or take it to an Indy that could do it for you,

Old 03-07-2012, 08:42 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain

+1 for welding on a support brace. I'd weld a brace from the piece that goes under the bag. Make it go behind where the passenger footpeg bolts on. Like the Cycle Visions brackets.

Old 05-17-2019, 08:00 PM
FastDude2020
Tourer
Received 114 Likes on 53 Posts

Bags look good. Bracket is not very good.