Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deuce vs. Wide Glide/Street Bob

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:11 AM
thebeginning
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deuce vs. Wide Glide/Street Bob

So I'm hoping to buy my first Harley in the next few months, and am trying to decide what I'm looking for.

I'm looking to spend around 10k, so I had only looked at used Dynas. However, I just started seeing some Softail Deuces pop up, and really, really like the look of them.

I'm a newb with the Softail line, so while I know the suspension differences, I don't know the differences in horsepower, ride-ability, etc.

My end goal is to have a chopper-styled bike, with a performance upgrade through a PCV, Stage 3, bigger air intake, and new pipes (Big radius), and a 'look' upgrade with a bobbed back fender, lowered rear end, slim solo seat, and 14" apes. Possibly a rake of the front, but even more than the wide glide.

Any Deuce owners that have also rode some Dynas want to chip in?

What major differences will there be in the stock bikes, and would I be able to mod them both for the same effort/money?

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2011, 11:21 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Dyna's are hard'er to mod in certain ways and easier in others
Dyna's are hard in
- putting a smaller chopped tank (their frame is butt ugly and need to be covered.
- finding mutli fit necks, front ends without modifications.
-relocating coils and battery to lower seats.
Easier in
- Performance parts (really really good performance for both engines and cornering).
- If you black out the suspension with progressive or the likes the bike looks bad ***
- Easier to turn 'rigid' by just adding struts and convert back if you like, while in a softail this is a major 'weld' remove everything procedure and ir-reversable.

For the MC gangster look, the StreetBob comes out easy as the winner for the cost, for the 'chopper' older look the Custom is your best choice but be prepared to shell out some money.

The Deuce was a pro-street, Chopping it IMO is just the wrong thing to do.

Best thing you can do is go to the softail Custom/NightTrain/Standard photos and the Dyna StreetBob photo sections and take a look, you will eventually find your heart telling you where to go.

And do not rule out the new Sporties if I was you (if you are under 190 and under 5.10 like myself).

Those were my two cents . I will pick up on others cents I am sure
-

Old 06-26-2011, 11:38 AM
buggy
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Way more options with a softail. Dont get me wrong ,i like the bob and the wg but before my bagger i was a softail guy.also add 2 klf33 list dynas are rubber mount and softail has counterbalanced motor abd the bob had mid mount controls and the others are forward. Good luck

Old 06-26-2011, 11:41 AM
thebeginning
Advanced

Originally Posted by buggy
Way more options with a softail. Dont get me wrong ,i like the bob and the wg but before my bagger i was a softail guy.also add 2 klf33 list dynas are rubber mount and softail has counterbalanced motor abd the bob had mid mount controls and the others are forward. Good luck
Yeah I'll put forwards on whatever bike I get, abs don't really mind the dyna rumble, so the counterbalanced motor isn't that big of a benefit for me.

What do you mean 'way more options', though?

Old 06-26-2011, 02:08 PM
AzDeuce
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an 07 Deuce ,only year with 96 motor / 6 speed.I went for old school look so I did 200 rear tire on18" wheel, 14" apes,forward controls,etc ( see profile pics) have solo and 2 up with sissy bar set ups. I love the feel and ride.

Last edited by AzDeuce; 06-26-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:35 PM
Hot Rod King
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Deuce...but I'm biased

Old 06-26-2011, 08:38 PM
Clutch70
Road Master

WG What he said

Old 06-26-2011, 08:42 PM
Dieselhed
Cruiser

Another biased Deuce owner here and I've ridden tons of Harleys This is my fav by far.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:52 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by Clutch70
WG What he said

Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,785 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The only problem I see with the Deuce is that a lot of the aftermarket (including HD) is model specific. Otherwise, I say go for the Deuce. Ok, I admit it, I'm partial to Softails.

Quick Reply: Deuce vs. Wide Glide/Street Bob