Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

brake lights, blowing fuses

Old 06-30-2011, 08:10 AM
speedstick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake lights, blowing fuses

i have an 07 heritage, and now i keep blowing fuses for brake lights and signal lights,i have the kit that keeps the back lights on constantly

Old 06-30-2011, 08:47 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

There has to be an exposed wire grounding on something metal somewhere. Last time I saw this issue the turn signals were twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape. The wore through the electrical tape and was grounding on the frame.

Drew

Old 06-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Hollywood Ball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same issue a while back on my 09 Night Train. Pain in the ***. It was still under warranty but my local dealer couldn't track it down. They couldn't even replicate the short, but I could, almost every time.

I asked who did the test ride. It was some scrawny kid half my size. I mentioned the idea that it could be something under the seat, and maybe he isn't big enough to trigger it. They dismissed that idea.

Took the bike on vacation and to Charleston, SC with me (ya, in a trailer) and got fed up with the issue while there. Called Low Country HD and they said bring it in. By the time I'd gotten back to the beach house they'd called me to tell me they figured it out.

Turns out I had a loose ground connection causing the same short you are experiencing. Where, might you ask? Under the seat, of course, triggered by my fat ***, every time.

Electrical can be a pain in the ***, but check all your battery connections and ground connections.

Old 06-30-2011, 09:28 AM
colonelangus1
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check wiring under rear fender my brothers came loose and the tire wore a hole throw the casing and exposed the wires ..it kept blowing fuses.