Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Operation Fat-Train has begun! (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/669820-operation-fat-train-has-begun.html)

captainron62 07-24-2011 08:30 PM

Operation Fat-Train has begun!

I have decided to put a blacked out Fatboy front end on my 2005 Train. I have today purchased the upper blk cover and the blk lowers along with the cowbells. I also picked out a wheel thru Harley and will order it tuesday along with the tire. I also have to purchase the fork springs and the rest of the odds and ends.

If anyon has any advice that has done this sort of thing it will be appreciated. I will post pics when the actual swap begins.

I am cant wait to ride the train with the Fat front end and the extra stability it will provide.

kozy22 07-24-2011 08:38 PM

What size wheel and tire did you go with

captainron62 07-24-2011 08:48 PM

Just planning on going with the standard 16 inch wheel. Picked one of the Harley 6 spoke wheels. Then just going to use the stock size Fatboy tire. Seemed the simplest this way and less chance of and probs down the road.

my bike is already lowered one inch in the rear with my progressive 422's, so I thought this would be a good match.

jreichart 07-25-2011 02:19 AM

Can't wait to see it finished. Just did the fat tire on mine this past winter, but didn't swap the whole front end. Used a stock rear Train wheel, had the hub milled a bit to make it all line up, and stuck a 150 on it. I had to lower the rear an inch to bring the rake and trail back to spec and reduce the wheel flop, but it rides great now. Keep us posted!

deadeye 07-25-2011 02:50 AM

I'm considering the same project. It looks like most of the parts can be had very cheap on ebay.

captainron62 07-25-2011 08:04 AM

JReich, that looks pretty good. I think I am gonna have to mount my wheel and tire until I can source the rest of the parts. I was wondering what it would look like. Did your ride and handling improve? I just didnt like the feeling of the 21 inch front tire, hoping for a lot more stability and handling.

I have found some deals on ebay, so far this is the cost:

Black lowers, cowbells, upper Fatboy covers, $180 shipped.

Blk headight cover, and trim ring. $90 shipped.

The Harley wheel has been the biggest cost so far and of course the tire.

06 flstfise 07-25-2011 08:42 AM

What wheel are you going with?

captainron62 07-25-2011 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by 06 flstfise (Post 8614335)
What wheel are you going with?

Harleys slotted 6 spoke textured black, heres the link if it will work

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

jreichart 07-25-2011 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by captainron62 (Post 8614235)
JReich, that looks pretty good. I think I am gonna have to mount my wheel and tire until I can source the rest of the parts. I was wondering what it would look like. Did your ride and handling improve? I just didnt like the feeling of the 21 inch front tire, hoping for a lot more stability and handling.

I have found some deals on ebay, so far this is the cost:

Black lowers, cowbells, upper Fatboy covers, $180 shipped.

Blk headight cover, and trim ring. $90 shipped.

The Harley wheel has been the biggest cost so far and of course the tire.

It does ride better, or at least the seat of the pants ride feels better. I'm much more comfortable flicking it around corners now. But like I said, had to lower the rear an inch because the new tire/wheel combo lowered the front and created a pretty severe wheel flop situation at slow speeds. Steering feels like stock now.

I sourced everything on Ebay as well, ended up spending about $850 on parts, tire, and machine shop work. As always, it was a bigger PITA than expected. Had to run a rear brake rotor and have it modified slightly to fit the pulley side wheel hardware (front rotor 5/16", rear rotor 3/8", drive pulley 7/16"). All in all, I'm more than happy with it. Just finished making that fender for it, took a stock fatboy fender and attacked it with the cutoff wheel.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress!

captainron62 07-25-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by jreichart (Post 8614865)
It does ride better, or at least the seat of the pants ride feels better. I'm much more comfortable flicking it around corners now. But like I said, had to lower the rear an inch because the new tire/wheel combo lowered the front and created a pretty severe wheel flop situation at slow speeds. Steering feels like stock now.

I sourced everything on Ebay as well, ended up spending about $850 on parts, tire, and machine shop work. As always, it was a bigger PITA than expected. Had to run a rear brake rotor and have it modified slightly to fit the pulley side wheel hardware (front rotor 5/16", rear rotor 3/8", drive pulley 7/16"). All in all, I'm more than happy with it. Just finished making that fender for it, took a stock fatboy fender and attacked it with the cutoff wheel.

Good luck, and keep us posted on progress!

Do you think you had some of those extra wheel problems just because you used a rear wheel? I ordered a Harley front wheel, so I am hoping it just bolts right on. My rear end is already dropped an inch. I will prob throw the front wheel and tire on next week on the stock front forks until I can get the rest of the parts together.