Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change Advise-08 Rocker

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 08:33 PM
deadduck357
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Change Advise-08 Rocker

I got the filter, gaskets and oil. By the way this is my first time on a Harley. Its an 08 Rocker. I have to get er done before Sat. so I dont have time to order a service manual. Was told by dealership it takes 5 quarts, friend said 3. How many quarts does it take ? Dealership also said the clutch needs to be checked/adjusted, would this be internally or externally ? Dealership said I have to remove the Derby cover to drain the oil ??? I see a drain plug underneath, is there not three ? Where are all the drain points ? Any other checks/adjustments should me done ?
Is Mobile 1 V-Twin OK for trans ? Thanks.

Old 11-19-2008, 09:42 PM
danike
Advanced

Engine 3 qts. trans and primary take 1 qt. each. You have to remove the derby cover to fill the primary. Trans drain plug on the bottom of trans between the rear shocks. Engine oil drain plug on right side of frame in a recess in front of rear tire. All plugs should have 1/4 allen and 5/8 hex heads on them. Clutch can be adjusted in the cable and the clutch pack. Cable should have 1/8 gap up by handlebar between cable and clutch lever housing. Theres a good clutch adjustment procedure on this forum if you want to adjust the clutch pack. I run Mobil 1 20w50 in the engine and primary and Mobil1 75w140 gear lube in the trans.

Old 11-19-2008, 10:18 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 11-19-2008, 10:43 PM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

dont f it up dude
good luck let us know how ya did

Old 11-20-2008, 09:52 AM
whylee
Road Warrior
Received 343 Likes on 244 Posts

I would recommend you to remove the derby cover before draining the primary oil. I have seen too many (including myself) drain the primary oil, then the crappy bolts on the derby cover are too tight and strip or break your torx sockets, then your stuck with no oil in the primary and no way to refill it.
If the derby cover bolts are tight I recommend getting a snap on torx bit socket before the head on the bolt strips.

Old 11-20-2008, 05:39 PM
deadduck357
Tourer

yea i had that problem when i changed the stock derby.
the dealership gives me so many different options for the trans. was told 20w-50 would work but he also said 75-110 gear oil would work he also said 75-140 gear oil would work. why so many variants ?

Old 11-20-2008, 07:00 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,658 Likes on 943 Posts

Originally Posted by deadduck357
yea i had that problem when i changed the stock derby.
the dealership gives me so many different options for the trans. was told 20w-50 would work but he also said 75-110 gear oil would work he also said 75-140 gear oil would work. why so many variants ?
Lots of options, all work. Oil/lubrication is peace of mind. If you're happy with it thats the important thing. I can't remember the last time I saw a true oil related failure (except not enough).

Use a hand impact on the Torx bolts in the derby cover, and then throw them away. You can get a hand impact for about $10 at most Jap shops. If you screw up a Torx head and can't get it out any other way, use a small chisel to cut a notch in the head, and then chase it out with a punch.

Regardless of what the manual says, I like to get it close with the oil the first time. Run the engine a minute or two, let it drain down and check. for whatever reason different HD's of the same exact model can vary by up to a 1/2 pint.

Old 11-21-2008, 03:01 PM
mjmangus
Tourer

Your owners manual should get you through the oil changes. It should also list the various recommended weights for your weather/environment.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:30 PM
soundbass_19
Stage II
Default Primary

When you fill the Primary, I know you fill it until it touches the bottom of the clutch basket, but do you fill it on the stand or vertical, THanks

Old 08-13-2011, 04:37 AM
luvtoride
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT TOUCH THE CASE DRAIN PLUG ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ENGINE! The oil drain is directly below the oil tank.

Quick Reply: Oil Change Advise-08 Rocker