Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Boy or Road King? Opinions Please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:34 AM
djyoung214
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Boy or Road King? Opinions Please

I'm getting a whole bunch of different opionions about this but I think I should ask here before I make a decision.

I'm selling my FXDB and I was planning on trying to get a Road King. The only thing I really want is a carburated one so, pre-2005 was what I was looking for until I came across an opportunity to get a very clean Fat Bob with a modest amount of accessories and it looks good to my liking.

The reason I was leaning toward a Road King was because I wanted to two-up with my wife. She's less than 110 pounds even on her best/worst day so I'm wondering if I even need a tourer like a Road King.

Also I'm not sure how a Fat Boy is when you double up on it.

I need your opinions. Whatever you've experienced and whatever you believe I'd like to hear it. Opinions on long rides, two-ups, handling, ride, solo rides... All of it. I'd appreciate that.

Right now, the 2007 Fat Bob I'm looking at would cost me about two grand less than a 2005 Road King. (Harley's are pretty damn overpriced where I live. I live in Korea and a new Road King will cost a little over 30 thousand bucks - tax included).

Old 08-15-2011, 01:49 AM
skulltrainharley
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here is the bottom line Fatboy is used for general day to day riding but can be adapted for the touring aspect .... Road king is more of a touring bike but can be used for general day to day riding .... Suggest you try them both out solo and with a pillion then both of you make you mind up as to what works for you both and ticks all the boxes otherwise you will get boged down with all the technical boffins giving their advise ..... Good luck in your choice ..... PS i have both and would not trade either

Old 08-15-2011, 03:12 AM
hksigman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have both a softail (06 deluxe) and roadking(05 classic). If i had to keep just one bike, i would keep my roadking.

My opinion is it is the most versatile bike. You can cruise with it, roadtrip with it or bar hop- all dependin on what mods you want to do....

If you plan on some weekend trips then the roadking would be the bike since it has the bags already...

Old 08-15-2011, 03:15 AM
moggsy
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My heritage, which is similar to a fatboy, is totally different to a road king, which my best mate has. The rk you sit "on" the seat whereas the heritage you sit "in" the seat. The rk with the rubber mounted motor vibrates a lot and takes a bit of getting use to. For 2 up the rk is definitely the better option. A plus for the fatboy is you can run bags on it and easily take em off whereas yuo cant really do this with the rk.

Having said all this my next scoot will be a rk or sg as they are more comfortable for longer rides and still look cool.Just a bit more versatile. But as everyone will tell you, take both for a spin and see which one ticks the boxes. Nice dilemma to have.

Good luck with it.

Old 08-15-2011, 06:25 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

I went from a RK to a Heritage. I like the Heritage a lot better for the reasons Moggsy pointed out; however, my wife liked the RK a lot more than the Heritage as she sits up pretty tall on the Heritage and gets a lot more buffeting. The problem with her on the RK was I could hear her talking.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 AM
inaroush
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I own a 2010 Fatboy and recently road on a RoadKing.

They are very very different. The RK is a much more subtle ride and is more comfortable for 2 up than a Fatboy.

I would not get rid of my Fatboy for a RK and if I owned a RK I would not get rid of it for a Fatboy.

Ride them both and decide what you are looking to get out of it.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:02 PM
STLFLSTF_Mike
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have an 07 Fatboy but most of my friends ride touring bikes or RK's. My Fatboy is a beast and I love riding it but I just took a trip to Sturgis with a friend on a RK and he handled the curves/road with ease and he always has a place to store things while on the road.

Old 08-15-2011, 01:09 PM
cromagnon
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure why you would want a carb model anyway. EFI is great and very reliable. The Road King is in my opinion the best motorcycle made by HD. Yeah, people will differ because of the batwing/sharknose verses the windshield thing. But you can remove the windshield.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 AM
djyoung214
Advanced

Originally Posted by fdb2007
The problem with her on the RK was I could hear her talking.
Now that can be a problem, I should consider that

Old 08-16-2011, 04:04 AM
djyoung214
Advanced

Originally Posted by cromagnon
Not sure why you would want a carb model anyway. EFI is great and very reliable. The Road King is in my opinion the best motorcycle made by HD. Yeah, people will differ because of the batwing/sharknose verses the windshield thing. But you can remove the windshield.
I think that's all I can afford if I go RK. There's something cool about the po~tae~toe po~tae~toe but I say whatever. It's only at idle.

Quick Reply: Fat Boy or Road King? Opinions Please