Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What size star wrench

Old 11-17-2006, 09:58 AM
BugSlayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What size star wrench

I need to take off the star bolts on my 07 Deluxe Fender strut to install my
Bubba's quick release bracket. What size star wrench do I need. Thanks.

Slayer

Old 11-17-2006, 10:29 AM
grandpawmoses
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What size star wrench

Buy the full set from Walmart. You'll need most of them eventually as Harley likes to use different sizes.

Old 11-17-2006, 01:02 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

The rear fenders strut bolts on my '04 Fatty are T-45 Torx type.
I picked up a set of (7) Torx bits from T-15 to T-50 with 3/8" ratchet drive at the Home Depot.
I don't remember the price but I don't think it was too bad.

-Randy

Old 11-17-2006, 02:59 PM
jbroughton
Cruiser

My '06 Heritage uses the 45 also, but get a good quality one because Harley uses some kind of lock tite on those bolts. I bought a set of Torx bits from Auto Zone, and immediately twisted the points off of it. Bought a Craftsman and it took them right out!

Jeff

Old 11-17-2006, 06:20 PM
RandyM1911
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jbroughton

My '06 Heritage uses the 45 also, but get a good quality one because Harley uses some kind of lock tite on those bolts. I bought a set of Torx bits from Auto Zone, and immediately twisted the points off of it. Bought a Craftsman and it took them right out!

Jeff
I hear you, Jeff. That's good advice. Nothing quite as aggravating as tools that don't do what they're supposed to.
The set I bought from the Depot is the Husky brand, made of hardened steel and seem to be pretty good quality. Spun the fender strut bolts out with no problem, even with the locktite. I'm sure the Craftsman's are also good quality. Not schilling for the Depot, I just don't have a Sears nearby.

-Randy

Old 11-17-2006, 06:53 PM
nikonf8
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

this time of year sears has specials every week keep an eye out and pick yourself up a set of allen sockets also they to will come in handy

Old 11-17-2006, 06:58 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 26 Posts

I think the one's on my Deuce were 45 too. I picked up an american made set from Loews for like 20 bucks...

Old 11-17-2006, 08:44 PM
BugSlayer
Advanced

Thanks all for the info.

Slayer

Old 11-17-2006, 11:42 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: nikonf8
this time of year sears has specials every week keep an eye out and pick yourself up a set of allen sockets also they to will come in handy
Defiantly a good idea, I would watch the Sunday papers as there is usually a Sears ad in it someplace. Sears hand tools are actually made by Snap-On if my info is right. But even if they aren't, they are first quality tools that they will replace no questions asked if you manage to damage or break one.
I can attest to that as my sons and I managed to break THREE ½” breaker bars on just ONE wheel bolt on an old 66 VW. The damn thing was in there for so long it had rusted in place and I didn't own an Oxy/Acetylene torch, better known as Smokey the Blue Tip Wrench at the time.
Old Smokey with the bar and some pipe would have made short work of it. But you have to use what you have, so we used the breaker bar and a 5’ long piece of pipe and let my 6 foot plus, 240+ pound son jump on it. The fourth bar got it out, but the pipe got bent in the process. I still have and use both of them.

Old 11-18-2006, 09:32 AM
skips69
Tourer

I agree with Craftsman if you have a local Sears store. I'd recommend picking up some torx and allen sockets as has been mentioned. The good thing about them is, if they are Craftsman you can replae them for free even if they are just worn. And you will round both styles from simple wrenching. Buy the set once, replace them for free for life - can't beat that!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What size star wrench