Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Rear brake light switch (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/687099-rear-brake-light-switch.html)

fish-r-ride 09-11-2011 09:40 PM

Rear brake light switch

Last night I noticed my brake lights were on while riding. Don't know how long it been doing it. Thought it might be the module that makes the rear turn signals into running lights and brake light but when I took it off same problem. So I pulled one wire off the rear brake switch and it goes out. Hit the front brakes light works fine. My question is, is this something common. Could there be something causing this or has the switch just gone bad. I mean the bike is an '08 so it's not that old. Good thing is I can still ride because I always use my front brakes also.

RocketRocker 09-11-2011 10:07 PM

i would replace the switch, was the button on the switch damaged(broken)? Sometimes the wires when routed incorrectly will get smashed and short out too...

fish-r-ride 09-11-2011 10:17 PM

I will replace the switch. I don't think the wires are damaged because the light goes off when I disconnected it from the switch. I'm sure the switch just went bad but I don't see how it could,but it's mechanical so anything could go wrong. Good thing is it doesn't look that hard to replace, but I'm a long ways from the nearest Harley place.

Kowan 09-11-2011 10:37 PM

You'll need to drain the rear brake fluid and refill/bleed the brake once you've replaced the switch.
I used teflon pipe dope I got at Home Depot on the switch threads when I replaced the stock brake line with a stainless one.

trekez2 09-11-2011 11:09 PM

My rear brake pressure switch quit working in the on mode too. This caused so much heat it fried the bulb and bulb socket as well. I was able to buy and replace the socket/connector and bulb so I had front brake actavation. The pressure switch I discovered was a new banjo type (#72026-08) and was back ordered for several months. They just became available last week. To install I drained the fluid, installed the fitting along with two seal washers (#41731-01) using a bit of locktite blue and blead the line. All is well again. No one was willing to tell me how frequently this happens.

1 2 many 09-11-2011 11:11 PM

Brake

I having the same issues rite know I suspect the pressure swicth

Doug S 09-12-2011 06:42 AM

Happens quite a bit, that same switch is used in a number of applications, some dateing back to my VW bug in the 60's... you don't have to drain any brake fluid and if you are quick about it you won't have to do much if any bleeding of the line but I always do just to be thurough.

D

DR. V-TWIN 09-12-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Doug S (Post 8807272)
Happens quite a bit, that same switch is used in a number of applications, some dateing back to my VW bug in the 60's... you don't have to drain any brake fluid and if you are quick about it you won't have to do much if any bleeding of the line but I always do just to be thurough.

D

I did it this way too. I got the switch at Autozone.

Drew

Texas T 09-12-2011 07:02 PM

Mine goes out about once a year on my 05' FLSTFSE

Never had to drain or bleed the brakes

fish-r-ride 09-13-2011 07:18 AM

Could ya'll tell me what this switch fits so I could go to Auto zone and get one. Hate to take it off and lose my brake fluid.