Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got my bag mount finished!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:35 PM
harleyheaven
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Finally got my bag mount finished!

I know this has been done before but I mine was a little different.

First I got some aluminum diamond plate to add some support for the bag. I traced out a pattern and cut it out. Then I marked the holes to mount the bags and drilled the holes.

My Leatherworks 312 bag has a pocket inside that I wanted to keep so I had to use two seperate peices on the inside of the bag.

I used some stainless steel #10 screws and locknuts to attach the plates to the bag.

I made a bracket out of 1/8"X1/2" stainless flat stock and polished it to a mirror finish. This serves as the third mounting point for support.

My mounting points were the existing locations on the swingarm, upper and lower belt guards. I found some 5/16"X1.5" long rod couplings and cut them to the needed lengths. Then mounted the bag with stainless 5/16" button head bolts.

The bag is rock solid. The rod couplings keep the bag just far enough away from the bike so when I raise/lower the Shotgun shock the bag doesn't rub anywhere. The rod couplings also allow me to remove the bag easily with an allen wrench.

Let me know what you think.

Last edited by harleyheaven; 09-19-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:49 PM
olongapo1
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Did the same thing to the swing arm bag on my Train. I like the solid mounting.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:01 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Instead of using plate inside the bag, I used fender washers, (large diameter with a small hole in the center) to secure the bag to the plate mount.

I used a 12"x12" piece of diamond plate and had enough material to leave a lower belt guard mounting point.

Your stainless piece works, it was just a lot less work for me leave an extended piece on the plate.

Old 09-19-2011, 11:05 AM
harleyheaven
Road Master

Originally Posted by Kowan
Instead of using plate inside the bag, I used fender washers, (large diameter with a small hole in the center) to secure the bag to the plate mount.

I used a 12"x12" piece of diamond plate and had enough material to leave a lower belt guard mounting point.

Your stainless piece works, it was just a lot less work for me leave an extended piece on the plate.
I thought about using big washers on the inside but I had plenty of material. The pieces on the inside give the bag extra support by sandwiching the it between two pieces of aluminum and I think the diamond tread on the inside looks good too. I was going to use two pieces cut just alike but the bag has a pocket on the inside. I wanted to keep the pocket so I used two seperate pieces for the inside.

My bag is 1/4" or so away from the swingarm and that makes the bag about 2" away from the lower mount.

How did you deal with the distance from the bag to the lower mount? Did you put a offset in the extended piece or extend the bolt out that far?

Old 09-21-2011, 02:56 PM
bcrdb
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
I know this has been done before but I mine was a little different.

Let me know what you think.

Looks like a rock-solid design and really nice craftsmanship!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:03 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harleyheaven
How did you deal with the distance from the bag to the lower mount? Did you put a offset in the extended piece or extend the bolt out that far?
I used a long bolt and chrome spacers. I did the same for the upper two mounts.

Using the fender washers still allows use of the inner pocket.

I need to make a new mount now to shift the bag back into a normal position.
I'm going to use an axle mount instead of the swingarm mounting point for the Roto-Plate.
That will allow me to mount the Alloy Arts flush passenger pegs.
This time I'll take pictures to help anyone interested in how I mounted it.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:56 PM
gforrest2
Road Captain

Nice job. How about a far away photo of the bag mounted on your bike? I picked up a bag from CountryDeluxe a few months back and plan on doing something similar this winter. It won't fit right now because of my axle covers.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Here's a picture of mine shifted forward to clear the swingarm mount for the Roto-plate. Lost use of passenger pegs, but a solo ride anyway.
Not even close to the Heartland axle covers on mine.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:02 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Looks great. I added the third mounting point to mine last week. It's rock solid as well.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:44 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I did something similar on mine but used a piece of plexiglass, cut one piece for inside and the other for outside and sandwiched them together with small stainless bolts, then used the bely guard bolts. Works great.

Quick Reply: Finally got my bag mount finished!