Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Brake light stays on (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/689872-brake-light-stays-on.html)

cowboy0707 09-19-2011 08:37 PM

Brake light stays on

The brake light on my 09 FLSTC is staying on all the time. Anybody got any idea where to start looking?

Sgt_Jim 09-19-2011 08:54 PM

perhaps the little button that your brake lever compresses on to activate the brake light itself is broken..i'd start there..

emerson73114 09-19-2011 09:27 PM

I had the same problem. My front brake lever was not compressing the switch completely. I came up with a quick fix but haven't fixed it properly yet!!

HDUK 09-20-2011 08:52 AM

This seems to be a common problem both myself and a couple of mates have had the same problem I have sprayed wd40 into where the brake lever compresses the switch to a couple mates who have had to replace the switch

FXBadass 09-20-2011 09:59 AM

Did you change levers or grips recently?

Get a small flathead screwdriver and push the switch in and see if it goes out. If so, then the small button head is broken off. Either diassemble and solder a new switch in (Drag Specialties switch $15 or under) or stick something on the brake lever contact area as a temp fix like mentioned above. Easy fix if you are very careful installing the new switch without tearing the boot. I cut the wires flush on the old switch and keep 2.5" of wire on the new switch, and the excess tucks in nice and gives you enough room to put heat shrink on the splices.

If the light doesn't go out on the front, then you can unplug the electrical connector to the rear hydraulic brake swich along the bottom frame, but usuallly when they fail, the brake light fails off. If you change that switch you got to bleed the rear brake.

dsonnenberg 09-20-2011 11:47 AM

Same thing happenend to me, I bought a small spring and glued onto that little button, hasn't failed me yet

Jackie Paper 09-20-2011 11:51 AM

Do a search on this. Lots of good suggestions. If you do not see it it will turn up here again.

BACCUS100176 09-20-2011 05:04 PM

Same thing happened on my Lo. I found myself flicking the brake lever forward with my fingers just like on my old Honda Nighthawk. Thought it was the front brake light switch and took it to the dealer since it's still under warranty.

Picked it up later that day and was I surprised that they replaced the switch AND (get this) rebuilt the front master cylinder. All I can say was glad that it was under warranty! BTW, the front brake does feel smoother when coming to a stop. Anyways, I hope, in your case, it's just the switch!

Bluehighways 09-20-2011 05:34 PM

New HD Front Brake Light Switch P/N 71621-08 about $40

cowboy0707 09-20-2011 07:14 PM

brake light

All right guys. thanks for all the suggestions. I knew someone here would have the answer.