Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP- Oil Drain Plug on Crankcase Wont Stop Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:59 AM
jtsteiert
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP- Oil Drain Plug on Crankcase Wont Stop Leaking

I changed my oil for the first time on my 05 Heritage, everything went pretty good and wasnt to difficult. Now my drain plug on the bottom of the crankcase wont stop leaking oil, I put thread sealer on it then reinstalled and thought that would take care of any leaks. No such luck....

What do you guys do to stop this plug from leaking? its a allen head plug that fits flush with the crankcase and there is no O-Ring to seal it with.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Old 09-25-2011, 12:16 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you may have pulled the wrong plug.

There is a Allen head drain plug for the Primary oil.
There is a Hex head bolt between the shocks for the Transmission oil.
There is a Hex head bolt at the base of the right side of frame behind the tranny to drain the Engine oil.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:43 PM
story808
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Plus one on being the wrong plug... the oil plug is at the rear of the frame right in front the swingarm, near the rear brakelight switch.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:53 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

the oil plug has a rubber o ring on it thats suppose to be replaced everytime you change the oil too. I've been able to get away with every other...

but yeah dude, sounds like you pulled the wrong plug.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:12 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Yeah the plug your possibly reff to sounds like the pipe plug you tap a Scavenger oil drain system to but even that doesn't leak like your describing after you've put some thread sealer on it. A pic would help.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:21 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Agree with what others have said. All you can do now is to pull it back off, let it drain overnite to get it as dry as possible, put some pipe thread tape AND pipe sealing compound on the threads and screw it back in.

If it still leaks after that, you might have cracked the case when you removed the plug, and that's a whole other issue.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:28 PM
roadkingharry
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 20 Posts

That plug is never supposed to be taken out when changing the oil, big pita. The only time I've heard of removing it is to check on oil sumping, to see how much oil is left in the crankcase. You'll have to do a search on here to find a solution if no one chimes in with an answer. I would read my owner's manual or better yet, a service manual before doing any wrenching next time. I know that doesn't help you now. You may wanna repost this thread in the engine forum.

Old 09-25-2011, 01:47 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Jeeez!!! Another "I don't have a manual mechanic". Bud, I hope you can get the leak to stop without too much problem. Get the manual before you do any more wrenching, you "assume" too much. Harleys are dry sump engines, they carry all their oil in the oil tank not the crankcase.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:02 PM
jtsteiert
Intermediate

I have a manual and read it, it showed the drain for the oil tank near the swing arm which removed and drained, it also showed the pipe plug on the primary or crankcase which offered a way to remove that oil. It had thread sealer on it when I removed it and figured replacing that sealant would solve the problem... I believe TallDog and TUCCI have offered the solution and I appreciate it! Tracker56 I didnt assume anything unless you count the fact that assuming thread sealant would fix the problem.

Old 09-25-2011, 03:07 PM
jtsteiert
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tracker56
Jeeez!!! Another "I don't have a manual mechanic". Bud, I hope you can get the leak to stop without too much problem. Get the manual before you do any more wrenching, you "assume" too much. Harleys are dry sump engines, they carry all their oil in the oil tank not the crankcase.
Assuming your correct and that all oil is kept in the tank not the crankcase, then why would oil be leaking out of it? Instead of bashing me for learning on my own with a manual, how about sharing a little of your wisdom without the sarcasm? People are to fast to beat up on ones trying to do their own work yet dont offer any advise or suggestions on what may be easier or a better way to do something, the manual isnt clear on exactly which plug or drain opening to remove, if this pipe plug should not be removed EVER then it should say so, excuse me for not knowing.

Quick Reply: HELP- Oil Drain Plug on Crankcase Wont Stop Leaking