Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broken retaining tabs on regulator housing result of back pressure?

Old 10-31-2011, 09:05 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken retaining tabs on regulator housing result of back pressure?

I recently started having a stall problem with my 2007 FLSTN. The bike would fire, but stall immediately. After some research, I settled on a fuel pressure problem and set my sights on the internal fuel lines. So, I pulled my fuel pump assembly, expecting to find pinholes in at least one, if not both of the lines. Surprisingly, the fuel lines look ok, but I am replacing them with Gates submersible lines just to be sure. What did not look right were the tabs on the fuel pressure regulator housing.

Additional details in this thread: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...rt-switch.html

At first, I thought I might have broken the tabs when I was disconnecting the sender hose from the housing. After thinking about it, I'm no longer convinced I damaged the part. If I had pushed hard enough to damage something, I would think the outlet would have snapped off, or the tabs would have broken, lifting the housing and the regulator away from the top plate - the regulator fits too tightly in the housing to simply pop out. As you can see in the pics below, the regulator pushed far enough out of the housing that the o-ring was partially exposed. I'm thinking the regulator pushed the housing up and off before I ever opened the bike up. This would explain why the fuel system could pressure to prime, but not maintain high pressure and keep the bike running.

My guess is the plastic of the housing simply fatigued and gave way when I tried to start the bike. Ethanol enriched gas has been known to do strange things to do strange thing to plastics, just ask anyone with a Ducati Sport Classic or pre-2010 1098/1198S, but I wanted to see if anyone could suggest other possibilities that might result in another broken housing.

My question is, should I be concerned about a potential blockage downstream of the housing that might have caused back pressure sufficient to lift the housing off the regulator? Could a blocked injector cause that kind of back pressure? Could the regulator have gone bad and failed to bleed excess pressure?

Note the exposed o-ring at the base of the regulator.

Removed the regulator housing, and noticed both tabs had been cracked.

Old 11-02-2011, 10:48 AM
WouldBeHD
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to find anything online and I'm not having any luck with these threads. Does anyone know of a resource I could tap into that might have an answer? I'd hate to get everything back together, only to blow up another regulator housing.