Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird electrical question...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM
Jethro
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Weird electrical question...

I have a 95 Softail, and FXSTC. The plug connection between the stator and voltage regulator went bad. It "fried" my stock stator. I replaced the stator (two wire) and rotor, and put back a stock voltage regulator. Fired it up, checked the voltage across the battery, and read about 14.25 volts at idle. I know this is not a valid test, but does at least tell me that voltage is charging the battery. Anyway, on the ride home from the shop at night, I noticed that my headlight was "blinking" every seven seconds. It was noticeable enough that it looked as if I was flashing my light, or switching between high and low. It was momentary, and lasted all the way home, about a twenty minute ride. It did it at idle also, and with the same frequency. Does anyone have any ideas on this>?
Thanks, Jethro

Old 11-07-2011, 08:59 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Looks like you have some more testing to do and confirm all connections are clean and good. Also do a load test on the battery. Usually if the stator goes it takes out the reg. Almost need to rig up a temp volt gauge to see if its over producing due to a bad VR. 90% of elec issues are a bad ground.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:35 PM
Jethro
Cruiser

I screwed up in ealier post, I meant that I had replaced the stock voltage regulator with a new, stock regulator. This replacement is the same as the old regulator, meaning it does not have a ground wire, but "grounds" to the frame with the mounting bolts.

Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Same issue. Did you confirm that the stator is ok. I just changed my VR 2days ago.

Old 11-08-2011, 06:03 AM
Jethro
Cruiser

Hey Soft.... the original stator was shot. The windings were burned and the stator was not putting out voltage. I checked this on a stator tester. Put in a new stator. Put in a new rotor. Put in a new voltage regulator. It is charging about 14.25 volts to battery at 2000 rpm, less at idle. New battery. The problem is this "blinking" noticeable on the headlight as described in the first post. I will re check grounding of the voltage regulator at first light, and also battery connections. Does anyone else have any ideas or experience with this issue of a pulsing-more like blinking headlight, as if switching it from hi to low? It occurs on a regular basis, every seven seconds, which makes me suspect it is tied in to new voltage regulator.

Old 11-08-2011, 07:34 AM
ZD
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jethro
Hey Soft.... the original stator was shot. The windings were burned and the stator was not putting out voltage. I checked this on a stator tester. Put in a new stator. Put in a new rotor. Put in a new voltage regulator. It is charging about 14.25 volts to battery at 2000 rpm, less at idle. New battery. The problem is this "blinking" noticeable on the headlight as described in the first post. I will re check grounding of the voltage regulator at first light, and also battery connections. Does anyone else have any ideas or experience with this issue of a pulsing-more like blinking headlight, as if switching it from hi to low? It occurs on a regular basis, every seven seconds, which makes me suspect it is tied in to new voltage regulator.
I've seen that phenomenon on older vehicles (mainly autos) with mechanical voltage regulators. I do agree that it sounds like the regulator is 'checking out' momentarilly. If I was gonna make a wild hip-shot guess, I'd say that the regulator and stator are missmatched current-wise, and the thing is over-charging.

Old 11-08-2011, 08:02 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member

Is it a 3 phase stator.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:07 AM
pnw_hd_rider
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do other lights "blink" as well, or just the headlight? If you turn on the ignition but don't start the bike, does the headlight still "blink"? Since the headlight runs off the battery, I don't see how a problem with the stator or regulator would cause the headlight to flicker, unless it's an intermittent short, and that would cause all the lights to flicker.

Did you check the battery connections? Did you disconnect the battery before changing the stator and regulator?

Old 11-08-2011, 04:17 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,166 Likes on 5,391 Posts

Originally Posted by pnw_hd_rider
Do other lights "blink" as well, or just the headlight? If you turn on the ignition but don't start the bike, does the headlight still "blink"? Since the headlight runs off the battery, I don't see how a problem with the stator or regulator would cause the headlight to flicker, unless it's an intermittent short, and that would cause all the lights to flicker.

Did you check the battery connections? Did you disconnect the battery before changing the stator and regulator?

The consistent 7 second thing makes me think the regulator is regulating a short. Here are more ideas on testing:http://www.wildwestcycle.com/f_charge.html