Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Mod(s) opinions please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 06:07 AM
94-Sporty
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Which Mod(s) opinions please

Guys and Girls,
About two years ago I bought a 1998 Fatboy anniversary from my father in law who had gone blind. I absolutely love this bike. I may have a modest amount of money in the very near future and am thinking of some mods...Which would you chose and why?

1) New front and rear brakes, maybe Performance Machine?
2) Complete 16 inch ape setup from Hill Country Customs.
3) Hypercharger or forcewinder intake and new front brake caliper and stainless line.
4) maybe...a batwing fairing for some tunes?

I guess I have listed them in order of preference...

Big unknowns for me are number 2 and 4. Always wanted apes but not sure how they will affect handling, likewise the batwing..seems like a lot of weight on the front end. Your experiences and or opinions would be appreciated, this will be it for mods for a while for me.

NJC

Old 02-03-2012, 06:34 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Skip the hyper charger

You won't notice any difference in weight with a fairing, will knock the wind off you

Old 02-03-2012, 06:39 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Better brakes are always a good idea. I'm not familiar with the ones you've mentioned. I'm not an ape fan so I won't comment on #2. The Hypercharger is a popular intake that looks cool too but if the bike is fuel injected, you might need a remap of the ECM to allow for the extra air flow. What kind of pipes are on it? I'm not sure why the brake fixation but if it's a better caliper, go for it. Stainless lines are good. I do like the batwings add-ons. In general they are not a quick-disconnect but maybe that's ok. There was a question on this forum about whether you could mount up a stereo on one brand of aftermarket wing for a FB and the answer was "no" for that brand. I can't remember which. If that is part of your motivation, do some shopping...ask questions. A picture of the bike usually helps inspire comments on mods too and we can see what's already on the bike.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:02 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,474 Likes on 2,476 Posts

Hypercharger is junk. Don't waste your $$!

Batwing will ruin the looks, and IMHO a detatchable winsheild will do just as good a job.

Apes? If you like 'em,get 'em. They look great on a Fatboy.

Get the SE air filter, pipes, and if carbed;a rejet. I dunno if brake upgrades are worth the $$, unless the stock brakes are shot. since a '98 ain't really all that fast & the stockers should be fine.

Last edited by dickey; 02-03-2012 at 07:04 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:06 AM
94-Sporty
Advanced

Thanks Guys,
The bike is pretty much a stock 95th Anniversary fatboy. It has a Screamin Eagle intake. It is an EVO with a Carb.
I think good brakes would be a good investment, stock ones are OK but I have heard lots of good thinkg about the aftermarkets like Jaybrake and Performance machine. Had stainless lines on my last harley and liked the stiffer feel from the brake lever.
I'm 6'2" and have never used a shield / faring. Used to the wind in my face, but am not sure if a fairing will keep it off me or just direct all the wind in my face.
I have heard mixed reviews about hyperchargers, I figured more air in must be good but I dont think I have a problem with that. Bike is plenty responsive.

Right now I'm thinking the best investment would be brakes......but I love those 16 inch apes......

Old 02-03-2012, 07:40 AM
94-Sporty
Advanced

here is the bike.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:18 AM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

For me,
The Most change in looks came from changing the Handle Bars , followed by front end suspension change (black, rubber boots).
The Most change in handling came from the Pirelli Night Dragon tires (check my review in this section for them).
The Most change in performance .. well.. nothing really, but I installed a sports bike caliber kit for my front (Fab Kevin) and it made a big difference, much cheaper than PM, and looks dirty the way I like it .

I have seen this excact same model and color in Toronto last year and it looks Stunning, if you go High Apes will make it killer, but equally pretty are wide Beach bars with good pull back, comfort depends on your height.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:22 AM
kozy22
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The fairing moves the wind off you and over your head

Old 02-03-2012, 02:32 PM
roaddog rhody
Cruiser

Go for the apes. Your bike will look killer and you will love the added comfort.

Old 02-03-2012, 02:42 PM
phanowel
Cruiser

From my perspective:

Apes.
Re-route your crankcase vent tube.
Pipes.
Air cleaner (but certainly NOT the hypercharger).

Looks great, have fun on it!

Oh, and... The existing brakes work fine, right? Leave 'em be.

Quick Reply: Which Mod(s) opinions please