Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   Need help choosing my first bike. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/707779-need-help-choosing-my-first-bike.html)

GrissaOstDrauka 11-16-2011 07:32 AM

Need help choosing my first bike.

I'm a long time car guy that's finally decided to get a bike. I've been looking around and have seen a lot of bikes that i really like but still have some questions. My taste in bikes is more along the lines of not a lot of dress and no frills. I seem to lean towards Fatboys but occasionally a Dyna or two will catch my eye. The only thing I'm sort of unsure on when it comes to Fatboys is that the rider seems to sit a bit more on top of the bike that what I like. I like the look when the top of the tank comes up to about chest height or in other words it rakes upwards. I didn't know if playing around with a different seat and possibly even a tank would get the look I like when it comes to a Fatboy or other softail model. Just trying to find a bike I'll be happy with for some time. Also, one limiting factor, as of right now my price cap for a bike will be about 15,000. Not a huge amount I realize but all I can comfortably do at the moment. I've included a couple links to some bikes that have a least the general stance and lines I like, not necessarily that exact model.

http://bigbikemotorcycles.com/big-be...der-motorcycle

http://ladiesvroom.blogspot.com/2010...n-in-pink.html

ElJayBird 11-16-2011 07:59 AM

$15K is a very reasonable budget provided you aren't opposed to buying used. My suggestion would be to get your 'M' license endorsement and go ride a few...then choose the one you feel most comfortable on. The Fatboys are nice...me personally, I'm not too crazy about the Dynas.

Village Idiot™ 11-16-2011 08:57 AM

Make sure you have good insurance.

spongetail 11-16-2011 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by ElJayBird (Post 9047389)
My suggestion would be to get your 'M' license endorsement and go ride a few...then choose the one you feel most comfortable on.

+1
Test rides are free, if you don't mind salesmen bugging you. You might find a dresser more comfy. Also, I think depends on what type of riding you are doing. Big trips? To and from work? Around town?

magna 11-16-2011 09:10 AM

Sounds like you prefer a chopper style bike, the only way your going to get that with a Harley is to cut the frame, failing that you could always get a tank lift kit that will raise the front of the tank by up to 3" which should fit a Fatboy but wether it would look right I don't know, if you like that look you'd be better off with a Nightrain or Softail custom.

shitbox 11-16-2011 09:24 AM

In my opinion the Dynas are the best bang for your buck. With 15k you can get a new Dyna and have money left for pipes and upgrades. You cant touch a Fatboy new for 15k. The dyna also handles better and is quicker. They are also have a more comfortable stock suspension.
The upside to a Softail is all of the aftermarket parts available for them.
This is just one persons opinion. It would be best for you to ride before you buy.

Jaburg1 11-16-2011 09:31 AM

I vote for the Crossbones :)

jeffreydsilver 11-16-2011 09:37 AM

Welcome Aboard

Welcome to the world of biking!

This is only opinion but -
1) $15000 will buy A LOT of bike
2) Anything you buy won't end up being enough
3) Invest in training (MSF or similar), worth way more than the investment
Now, that being said -
4) Go to the dealer and sit on EVERYTHING

Enjoy your time here and more importantly stay safe out there!

DR. V-TWIN 11-16-2011 09:42 AM

Get a different seat and you will be in teh bike. The softail is a bike that really lends itself to this compared to some others. As far as price, for $15K you can get a great used softail for that price.

Drew

tkunk 11-16-2011 09:48 AM

here

http://www.crowriverhd.com/new_vehic...38&pov=2343765

ejvette 11-16-2011 09:58 AM

15K gives you alot of options......but buy a Deluxe !:icon_tongue:

tmitchellof PG 11-16-2011 09:59 AM

My 2005 SE Fat Boy sits fairly low. I don't think HD makes anything that sits lower due to the SE lowered rear and the SE seat. The 2006 SE Fat Boy sits an inch higher.
They both also come with the 103" engine and hydraulic clutch.
You might find one of them in your price range.
Good luck,
Tom

Benway 11-16-2011 10:41 AM

Understand the big bikes are heavy. My biggest thing with my Heritage is getting used to the weight (backing up, parking, maneuvering in tight spaces). Great when it's rolling, but you really need to pay attention when you're stopped or going slow. Do a test ride and understand it will get easier the more you ride.

kozy22 11-16-2011 10:46 AM

Think you want a rocker with a tank lift

GrissaOstDrauka 11-16-2011 11:07 AM

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone, your suggestions have really helped out. Right now I'd have to say it's between the Crossbones and the Rocker. I love the rear fender on the Crossbones, do they make a lower seat for them? Most of the ones I've been looking at have a spring seat. I get why they'd have a seat like that on a rigid frame bike but why do they have it on the Crossbones, going for a retro look? Anyway the bike will mainly be ridden in town with maybe an occasional trip to Tennessee or something like that, about 600 miles for me. I'm leaning towards the Crossbones because despite also loving the Rocker it looks like it would be more at home with some saddlebags. Anyway, definitely have given me some food for thought, now I just have to get my Trans Am sold and I'll be on my way.

Fierofly 11-16-2011 11:15 AM

When it comes to Harleys you can change just about anything on any bike and get a totally different look. The things you can't change very easy are what you need to chose first, Motor, frame, wheel sizes.
1. Pick a motor A (Dyna,Touring) B (Softail) or V Rod.
2. Pick front, Wide, Narrow, Springer
3. Pick rear tire width.

FXR_Hamster 11-16-2011 11:34 AM

Although you indicated in your last post, your looking for around town cruiser (with the odd short trip) , fair enough, but you may want to consider all types of riding and not limit yourself, if you can have a model that does a couple types of riding well.

1. Seats and handlebars COMPLETELY change the riding positions. And you can swap these out on any HD model although the model frame may limit seating positions at some point.

2. Softail versus Dyna versus Touring is huge difference in ride quality, although can be affected by suspension lowering, BUT you can get a different look for a model just by lowering it, maybe the look you described.

3. As previous others have said take a few test rides and don't hesitate to try them all, you might be surprised by some models, I have known a few folks who went to a dealer to buy a certain model in mind, but were convinced by the seat of their pants on another model that they eventually rode away with.

Good luck with the search.

Ash16 11-16-2011 11:40 AM

Get you a Rocker and do like Micahpop did his but with your own touch.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...olee999/04.jpg

Here is his thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...blackline.html

goats 11-16-2011 06:21 PM

might be tough to find a blackline for under $15,000. but it is the lowest seating position harley makes as a stock bike.

a lot of good advise here and i think fxr hamster hit the nail on the head with his post....
i like the last part of his post as i went to the dealer for my first bike with lots of ideas and opinions about what i wanted but i drove away with something else. lol the second time i got a harley (dont ask about the first one, long story) i went to the dealership with some ideas and had a pretty good idea what i wanted my bike to feel like (the important part), saw some i wanted, started test driving bikes (couldnt before but even just sitting on them helps) and discovered that my brain and my eyes are not very reliable... some of my favorite looking bikes would never be ridden more than once by me.

good luck man i hope you find what you are looking for

GrissaOstDrauka 11-17-2011 06:22 AM

Wanted to thank everyone again for all the suggestions. Especially for pointing me in the direction of the Crossbones. I like the bike quite a bit as is and after a little modification think I'll love it for a long time to come. As you guys suggested riding different styles of bike to get a feel for what I like, the only problem with that is that I have next to no riding experience. Plus I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for the look I want. I've been cramming myself into Camaros and Trans Ams for years now simply because I like the look so I feel I can do without a super plush bike.

Josewales 11-17-2011 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ash16 (Post 9048036)
Get you a Rocker and do like Micahpop did his but with your own touch.

http://i820.photobucket.com/albums/z...olee999/04.jpg

Here is his thread:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...blackline.html

Now why did you have to do that for??? That is sick...makes me want a 2nd bike for hopping. I always liked the look of the rocker...but this!

mike06train 11-17-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by GrissaOstDrauka (Post 9050548)
Wanted to thank everyone again for all the suggestions. Especially for pointing me in the direction of the Crossbones. I like the bike quite a bit as is and after a little modification think I'll love it for a long time to come. As you guys suggested riding different styles of bike to get a feel for what I like, the only problem with that is that I have next to no riding experience. Plus I'm willing to sacrifice a little comfort for the look I want. I've been cramming myself into Camaros and Trans Ams for years now simply because I like the look so I feel I can do without a super plush bike.

You should sign up for the safty course. In some states it's free. You walk out with your endorsement and some confidence if your a new rider. You can't go wrong with cross bones. They look good right out of the box and ride great. Plus, with the amount of aftermarket for softails, you can change it to look and ride any way you want. You options for change are really unlimited.

Village Idiot™ 11-17-2011 09:35 AM

And I don't know of any dealers that will let you test ride without a license.

David_Martin 11-17-2011 10:27 AM

Speechless

Originally Posted by shitbox (Post 9047643)
In my opinion the Dynas are the best bang for your buck. With 15k you can get a new Dyna and have money left for pipes and upgrades. You cant touch a Fatboy new for 15k. The dyna also handles better and is quicker. They are also have a more comfortable stock suspension.
The upside to a Softail is all of the aftermarket parts available for them.
This is just one persons opinion. It would be best for you to ride before you buy.

I'm almost offended!lol.

Krazilee 11-17-2011 07:23 PM

When I was thinking about getting a Harley three years ago, I got my M1 License after taking an MSF course. During the next three years, I bought a used metric cruiser and rode it every day as a commuter. I had a couple mishaps that any new rider is bound to have, but it was on the inexpensive metric.

Harley Davidson sponsors an event called "Demo Days" where some (not all) dealerships roll out the new models for the coming year for anyone with a license to ride (in groups). I went to four of them and glad I did. I originally thought that a Sportster would be the next step up for me, but when I rode one, it seemed a bit too cramped. I tried a few Dyna's, Softtails and even a Street Glide, but I fell in love with the Dyna Street Bob mainly because it handled so well and had gobs of power.

It sounds like you gravitate toward the bobber or chopper styles. If you like the Fat Boy, you may also like the Crossbones, Dyna Fat Bob or Street Bob. The Dyna's are a little more affordable than Softtails. I'm on board with the those who recommended trying a few Harleys first either at the Demo Days event or setting up a test ride.

I recently bought a new 2011 Dyna Street Bob but first was only considering used. The price difference between used and new was not that much, I financed a small amount to get brand new. Just an FYI... I believe the FXDB Street Bob is the most affordable Dyna starting at $14K.

I know from experience that I wouldn't be as happy with a Sporster as I am with my Dyna FXDB Street Bob. And it's all thanks to having riden them first.

Good luck with your search!

Tripleshot 11-17-2011 09:06 PM

The first time you go on a nice long overnight ride, you will hate yourself for not buying a softtail or roadglide. I started with the dyna wideglide, put 3 years of two up long rides over 600 miles and although doable, it beat us to death. Now I have an ultra but I would admit, ultras are not for everyone. Just sayin, I thought all I needed was a bike to get to work and cruise around, but staying in town is not my style. I like long rides,seeing country new to me and my senses. I bought a Harley to ride, not look at.

GrissaOstDrauka 11-17-2011 09:21 PM

I originally thought about buying a cheap bike at first but I mentioned that to a couple guys at work that are big into riding and said that they did the same and regretted it. They said I'd be better off just saving my money and getting the bike I wanted and that as long as I took it slow and played it smart I shouldn't have a problem.

Shredding rubber 11-17-2011 09:32 PM

Dyna. My street bob brought me over from metrics. I have a v-star and had a v-max. The v-max and dyna feel the same other than my v-max would walk away from my dyna. My street bob is a great bike. If I don't kill myself on it

Shredding rubber 11-17-2011 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by GrissaOstDrauka (Post 9053173)
I originally thought about buying a cheap bike at first but I mentioned that to a couple guys at work that are big into riding and said that they did the same and regretted it. They said I'd be better off just saving my money and getting the bike I wanted and that as long as I took it slow and played it smart I shouldn't have a problem.

Well everyone is different. Oils rather train myself on a throw away bike than a nice one. Harley parts cost big bucks. My old lady started on my v-star and dropped it twice. She didn't want to ride again. So I bought her a 450 nighthawk. She got on that bike and hasn't looked back. Do what is comfortable to you. A decent metric can be had for a grand. Ride it,drop it. Do burn outs whatever. Then once you have your Harley you are just that much further ahead

Village Idiot™ 11-18-2011 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by GrissaOstDrauka (Post 9053173)

If you worry about learning how to ride rather than worry about what people think your bike looks like parked infront of Starbucks, then you'll be a much better rider and much less of a poser.

dansax 11-19-2011 02:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Get a Fatboy LO you sit "in" the bike, not on it.

shitbox 02-02-2012 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by David_Martin (Post 9051144)
I'm almost offended!lol.

Really ?

Elvira 02-02-2012 08:49 PM

I test rode a Fat Bot, a Dyna (Street Bob), and my Nightrain. Ended up with the Nightrain....and got it for $7k already modded up a little!

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...-44-01_424.jpg

Steve Leonard 02-02-2012 09:08 PM

I drove my meteric to the Harley shop to trade it in on a fatboy.... Always wanted one... Knew what I wanted loved the look and the lines. Took it for a test ride and the salesman followed me on a Heritage. Half way through the ride he asked me if I wanted to trade. I said sure. The rest is history... I test drove a wide glide after the Heritage and it just wasn't the ride I was looking for... Still love the look of the fatboy but the Heritage (out of the box) was more confortable... Almost wish I would have tried a RK but I didn't think about it.

djbiker 02-02-2012 09:48 PM

As for sitting in the bike instead of on the bike, the seat and the handlebars seem to make most of the difference in this arena. A tank lift is an option, but I think it looks a little weird. The chrome dash on the Fatboy and my Heritage gives the look, and a lower than stock seat, and a set of mini apes on the Fatboy should give you what you are looking for in a softail. The cross bones is a nice bike too, just needs a different seat.