Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

risers

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:19 PM
DynaJ
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default risers

I know this is a crazy question but...When you do a bar change a risers a must? or can I just use the stock risers? I ordered the bars and got to thinking I might need risers..DO I?

Old 11-17-2011, 07:23 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by DynaJ
I know this is a crazy question but...When you do a bar change a risers a must? or can I just use the stock risers? I ordered the bars and got to thinking I might need risers..DO I?
Generally, you don't need new risers. In fact when I added pullback risers to my bike, I realized that I didn't need new bars.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:34 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping that was the case I have a springer now so getting risers at the local dealership isnt a option!

Old 11-17-2011, 07:37 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Get springer bars and you won't need new risers. The spacing on the knurling and stepped down area if the bars are 1.25" is 4.75" on a springer and 3.5" on a regular Harley front end.

Drew

Last edited by DR. V-TWIN; 11-18-2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old 11-18-2011, 05:37 AM
Budmiester
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I changed to 16" Wild One's on my Cross Bones, the knurling on the bars is real aggressive. The metal the stock riser is made of is pretty cheap. The increased leverage of the ape's chewed up the risers in short order. I tried every conceivable trick to keep the bars firm. Nada. Going to have to change out the risers. So Drew, got anything to replace stock risers that are stronger?

Old 11-18-2011, 07:31 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Budmiester
When I changed to 16" Wild One's on my Cross Bones, the knurling on the bars is real aggressive. The metal the stock riser is made of is pretty cheap. The increased leverage of the ape's chewed up the risers in short order. I tried every conceivable trick to keep the bars firm. Nada. Going to have to change out the risers. So Drew, got anything to replace stock risers that are stronger?

I run Carlini risers that come with a set screw on each riser to hold the bars in place. the funny thing is my Carlini bars do not even have knurling on them but this has been by far the best way to keep the bars in place. Another suggestion until you get new risers that I did with my old bars is to get a chisel, and burr up the knurled part of the bar so there is something for the risers to "grab on to." I also helicoiled the risers so that I could really crank down the riser bolts.

Worst comes to worst drill and tap your current risers for set screws to hold the bars in place. I have all kinds of risers as well.

Drew

Old 11-18-2011, 09:41 AM
dusty-kid
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think not if the OD is the same as the last ones,

unless there is a crazy angle on the new bars

Old 11-18-2011, 12:00 PM
DynaJ
Road Master

Originally Posted by DR. V-TWIN
I run Carlini risers that come with a set screw on each riser to hold the bars in place. the funny thing is my Carlini bars do not even have knurling on them but this has been by far the best way to keep the bars in place. Another suggestion until you get new risers that I did with my old bars is to get a chisel, and burr up the knurled part of the bar so there is something for the risers to "grab on to." I also helicoiled the risers so that I could really crank down the riser bolts.

Worst comes to worst drill and tap your current risers for set screws to hold the bars in place. I have all kinds of risers as well.

Drew
Drew do you have them in stock? If so can I come pick up a pair? Might have to wait to get these bad boys installed my damn cable kit has not come in yet!! Unsless you have a cable kit as well