Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Project Bike purchase

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 05:53 AM
Android
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Project Bike purchase

I am in the market for a new project.

I came across a 2000 Softail Deuce which the previous owner had cut the horns of the frame in the tail.

I am concerned that many parts say all softails except 2000-2006 FXSTD(Deuce)

Am I gonna have issues finding stuff to modify this bike? What kind of rear end can I mount on it? Will I have to fabricate? I am not shy when it comes to fabrication. I have a full sheet metal shop and machine shop at my disposal. I just want to keep it simple.

Let me know your thoughts.

Old 06-21-2013, 06:43 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I guess it depends on what your plan is. Used Deuce parts are all over Ebay. Most of the parts that are "Deuce only" are parts that you would typically customize anyhow. I would say, come up with a list of what you want to do to it and check the availibility of the parts needed. A good deal may not be so good after all but again, I think it depends on your plan and your skills.

Old 06-21-2013, 09:07 AM
JDeuce03
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Android
I am in the market for a new project.

I came across a 2000 Softail Deuce which the previous owner had cut the horns of the frame in the tail.

I am concerned that many parts say all softails except 2000-2006 FXSTD(Deuce)

Am I gonna have issues finding stuff to modify this bike? What kind of rear end can I mount on it? Will I have to fabricate? I am not shy when it comes to fabrication. I have a full sheet metal shop and machine shop at my disposal. I just want to keep it simple.

Let me know your thoughts.
Lemme tell ya brother, if your up for a project, the Deuce is exactly what you'll get lol. I own a 03 Deuce aka FrankenDeuce and so far I'm going to extra mile on customization, new motor, frame, and lots of other stuff with a hot rod Frankenstein trike kit and there is a lot of things that don't fit via Harley or most other places. I have lots of ideals on mods for the Deuce and have spent many hours on eBay and various sites such as jpcycles, Dennis Kirk, Harley and your best bet is to compile a list of what you want to do and go from there. If you have anymore Deuce needs hit me up, I've had to become very resourceful in a short time as my first Harley is a custom deuce lol.
jdeuce03@outlook.com

Old 06-21-2013, 12:16 PM
JoeBye
Intermediate

I just picked up a deuce and finding the same thing- fits everything except deuce. Just have to get more creative. It’s a balance between the price of the deuce and how much you are willing to fabricate. I was wanting something to get creative with so for me not a bad choice.

Let the fun begin

Old 06-21-2013, 12:25 PM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

If you're trying to make a catalogue queen, then the Deuce probably isn't the bike for you. I got a 17x6 nearly solid wheel from a Custom, had it powder coated black, and shoe horned it in there with a 200mm tire. Did a 95 upgrade kit with cams, 3" tank lift, new air cleaner, solo seat, swing arm mounted license plate, and some other little things right now. Everything chrome on it is going to get powder coated black, I'm going to get a shotgun shock to replace the ghetto lowering kit, new front forks, a 23" fat spoke front wheel, crazy custom paint (with a lot of sharpie), new headlight, chop the rear fender and shorten it, and some other things. I haven't but once found something I wanted that wouldn't fit and that's a backrest. I have the HD one that bolts on the fender and I only use that when traveling so I have something to put my bag one. Other than that, I'm having a blast with it and find it funny when non Deuce owners tell others not to buy one because the HD catalogue says the parts fit everything but the Deuce. In fact, the three things that set it apart from a softail standard are the wider rear fender and different struts, the longer gas tank, and the higher foot pegs.

Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
JoeBye
Intermediate

I just picked up a deuce and finding the same thing- fits everything except deuce. Just have to get more creative. It’s a balance between the price of the deuce and how much are will to fabricate. I was wanting something to get creative with so for me not a bad choice.