Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Can't get clutch cable out of Trans side cover

Old 11-30-2011, 03:52 AM
Simmosofty
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! Can't get clutch cable out of Trans side cover

Whilst changing my old zinc bolts for nice shiny SS ones I've accidently ruined the thread on the transmission side cover on the 6-speed (07 FXSTC). Easiest (but not cheapest) option I think is to replace the side cover and live happily ever after. Problem: After taking everything apart I cant seem to pull the clutch cable out through the hole in the trans side cover. The ball on the end of the cable seems just that touch too big, should it slip out or do I have to apply more force, or is there a secret harley trick that I've missed? Any assistance or advice would be so well appreciated, its stressing me out something fierce...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:21 AM
Simmosofty
1st Gear

I've just discovered that I can get the thread repaired but unfortunatelt that doesnt help if I cant get the damned cable out

Old 11-30-2011, 05:23 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Should just come out ... see attachment.

Are you sure you didn't break off a part of the cable fitting when you unscrewed it? You would not be the first to do that. If a piece of the fitting is still stuck in there, you will not be able to get the ball through.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Can't get clutch cable out of Trans side cover-transmission-cover.jpg  
Old 11-30-2011, 05:44 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Once you unscrew the clutch cable fitting from the clutch cover and remove the ball end from the inner ramp coupling, it should pull right out. I didn't have any problems with it at all...
Good luck. I hope you get it figured out.

Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

Here's how to put it back together should you need it.

Attached Thumbnails HELP! Can't get clutch cable out of Trans side cover-transmission-cover-2.jpg  

Last edited by Rakthi; 11-30-2011 at 06:00 AM. Reason: attachment not attaching first time around
Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM
Simmosofty
1st Gear

Thanks guys for the help, I bought a new side cover and as soon as I saw it I realized what had happened: I had damaged the thread so badly that the shards had jammed themselves into the hole where the cable comes through making it impossible to get the cable out. Oh well I bought myself a braid clutch cable so there was at least one positive out of the operation. Now to reinstall. Watch this space (fingers crossed)

Old 11-30-2011, 09:48 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by Simmosofty
Thanks guys for the help, I bought a new side cover and as soon as I saw it I realized what had happened: I had damaged the thread so badly that the shards had jammed themselves into the hole where the cable comes through making it impossible to get the cable out. Oh well I bought myself a braid clutch cable so there was at least one positive out of the operation. Now to reinstall. Watch this space (fingers crossed)
Careful on the reinstall. The clutch cable threads in at an angle, towards the outside of the bike if I recall correctly. As you already know, those threads are delicate as hell. Good luck!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:58 PM
1skrewsloose
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

If I read your post correctly, your only recourse would be to cut the cable, remove cover, E-Z out the damaged thread and heli-coil and re-install. It's late, I may be waaaaay off base on this, pui. btw, the original bolts really suck, eh

Last edited by 1skrewsloose; 11-30-2011 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:19 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Not sure if I came to the party too late to help.
But when you reinstall the cable do it with the cover off the bike.
Put a wrench on the cable and turn the cover (not the wrench) on by hand and only turn it on until it stops, DON'T TRY TO GET IT ANY TIGHTER!!!!
The cable has an O-ring on it to seal the cable end so it doesn't need to be very tight.
If you like you can put a tiny bit of grease on the threads and O-ring to make it thread in and seal better.
Doing it by hand that way 'should' prevent you from putting too much pressure on the cable threads and breaking it off the cable end.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:26 PM
rrambo
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ This.. that's how I put my new clutch cable in... tried for about 15 minutes to get it started with the cover on the bike with no luck.. cable was just too stiff and the angle is all jacked up so could NOT get it started... taking the cover off and turning it onto the cable worked fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: HELP! Can't get clutch cable out of Trans side cover