Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Because You Guys Are Awesome...I Need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Because You Guys Are Awesome...I Need Help!

Well after my recent shop experience. I think it's time I start learning a few things and do practical mods myself. And save a few bucks.

Two mods I want to tackle this weekend are installing PC'd strut markers to replace my bullet turn signals. Question I have is, can I just loosen or pop the struts one at a time or do I need to pop the fender off first?

Next is relocating the lisc. plate. I have a set up in my hands that can mount directly to the rear axle. Is this simple where just loosen the axle nut and pop on the bracket....and is there a specific TQ rating needed to bolt on?

Any advice or info are much appreciated.

Side note. Buddy of mine mentioned since I will scrape the pipes once in awhile, might as well get some custom tips made with a material that will let the sparks fly when it happens. Sounds groovy.

Cheers.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:34 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not sure, but I think you can't remove the fender without taking the strut bolts out first.. and according to the service manual (Torque Values section in the back, page XV), for the Rear Axle Nut it's 95-105 ft-lbs/128.8-142.4Nm

Old 05-16-2012, 10:44 AM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sgt_Jim
I'm not sure, but I think you can't remove the fender without taking the strut bolts out first.. and according to the service manual (Torque Values section in the back, page XV), for the Rear Axle Nut it's 95-105 ft-lbs/128.8-142.4Nm
Thanx bud.

So I can just deal with one strut at a time and only need to pop the torx screws off?

And thanx for axle nut info. I assume it's simple enough as that without a bike jack and all that.

Last edited by Josewales; 05-16-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:46 AM
Dirty Fxstd
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you can remove strut covers one at a time without taking the fender off.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
suiii15
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sparks? Honestly?

Old 05-16-2012, 10:53 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sparks are cool. a buddy of mine has some rivets in the bottom of his boots to make his boots spark when he puts his feet down (at slow speeds) and shows off for all the honeys :-D He also doesn't like his wife very much.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:19 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Come on now Jose. With all the money you've put out on that bike. You don't have a service manual yet? Gotta bust your chops on that.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:27 PM
mike 09
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jose, I would remove the fender. The front (4) torx hold the fender and struts to the frame. Use a impact and loosen the (6) others before you loosen the front. They are usually pretty tight. Be careful with the torx bits I broke 3 when I removed mine. Its a easy job just the bolts are a pain. Mike

Old 05-16-2012, 12:32 PM
Josewales
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Misbehaven
Come on now Jose. With all the money you've put out on that bike. You don't have a service manual yet? Gotta bust your chops on that.
Ya my bad. Should see me trying to put Ikea furniture together without looking at instructions:P. Good idea bud.

Thanx Mike. Will try one strut and see if I can just slide the markers on without removing fender. But seems like an easy task now.

Old 05-16-2012, 12:57 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

What's Ikea furniture? Is that like Lego's?

Quick Reply: Because You Guys Are Awesome...I Need Help!