Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with Vance and Hines fuel pak!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 10:30 AM
djea6b
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Vance and Hines fuel pak!

Having trouble setting up my fuel pak. I just had a 103 BB kit and S&S 551 cams put in. I'm running Vance Hines staggered Bigshots and a RSD turbine aircleaner using map#1477. Something just aint rite. I get a check engine light during warm-up,it surges, spits and sputters in 1st gear. 2nd thru 6 it does ok tho but it wants to die on me at lights sometimes. The bike seems like its running very rich. I'm starting to question if the Fuel Pak was the the right move for this build. Anyone else having trouble with fuel pak?? Would greatly appreciate any advice from a tuner or seasoned vet. This is my first Harley. Thanks in advance

Old 12-10-2011, 10:37 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had helped a friend install one on his v-rod and it was pretty simple. I think the fuel pack is more designed for bikes that just have pipes and intake put on, not all the engine upgrades. You could probably email vance and hines and let them know your setup. Maybe they could give you a more suited map. Good luck

Old 12-10-2011, 11:03 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Once U get into doing all the work U've done the Fuel Pac should really be upgraded to get U a good tune.

As stated above the FP is more for just the pipes and AC mod.
U can't make all the changes U now need to with Ur mods with the FP like U can with any of the better F/M system U can chose from.

Time to upgrade If U want Ur bike to run better with all the work U've done to her, most everyone in here would do it.

Last edited by oct1949; 12-10-2011 at 11:08 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:34 AM
djea6b
1st Gear

Thats all I needed to hear. I think ya'll are excatly right! Esp about the part that the Fuel Pak is mostly design for just pipes and a A/C. Thanks alot fellas. Im going to head to HD and go with the S/E tuner. I'll repost when when I get the tune done. In the mean time will I cause any harm by riding around town?

Old 12-10-2011, 01:07 PM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djea6b
Thats all I needed to hear. I think ya'll are excatly right! Esp about the part that the Fuel Pak is mostly design for just pipes and a A/C. Thanks alot fellas. Im going to head to HD and go with the S/E tuner. I'll repost when when I get the tune done. In the mean time will I cause any harm by riding around town?
Go to the V&H website to get their contact info and either call or email technical support. I have contacted tech support many times. They are very good at getting back to you quickly. While I agree with the other posters regarding the FP limitations associated with engine mods, their tech support may be able to help you achieve an acceptable temporary set-up until you change over to a more suitable tuner.

Old 12-11-2011, 10:48 PM
djea6b
1st Gear

I decided to pull the DTC codes out of curiosity because of the engine light and to my demise I got 3! P0118 (ET sensor voltage open/high EFI) whatever the hell that is, P0132 (engine running rich) and P0152 (rear cylinder high o2 sensor) which doesnt suprise me because I pulled the plugs tonight and the front looks ok but the rear is soot BLACK! I'm really bumming consider all the money I just dropped and the bike only has 2000 miles on it. It ran great before the mods and to top it off the wife is pissed. Is the Fuel Pak causing all this? Will the SERT fix all? Should I just bite the bullet and buy a Thunder Maxx?? All I want for xmas is my ride to purr like kat (maybe a lion). Any words of encouragement... Thanks a bunch

Old 12-12-2011, 06:47 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Click this link www.vanceandhines.com and ask tech support for help. I would call them rather than email. Tell them what you've posted here. They've helped me in the past and quickly.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

Son and I have installed the SERT or SEpST in all four of our bikes since 07 along with stg1 and cams and once dynoed they have been great, U don't have to keep messing with them and we have never had any issues with them.
We think there a great F/M system.

Old 12-13-2011, 08:46 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 151 Likes on 111 Posts

There shouldn't be that much difference on each cylinder with a fuel pak (at least the ones I am familiar with). It isn't tunable per cylinder I don't think.

It is easy to have a disconnect at the coil... (you can disfigure the connector on the spark plug wire and it still feels like it has gone on, but it doesn't 'click' into place). Pull the rear spark plug wire and see if there is evidence of arcing (black sooty deposit on the contact). If that is ok, put a tester on the wire with the bike running or do it the old fashion way and put the plug against the cylinder and see if it is sparking and how blue (strong) the spark looks.

Go to Sam's speed shop and talk to them about TMax's before you get the HD version
... just to get another perspective.

C#

Old 12-13-2011, 09:39 AM
Green Hornet
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO it sounds like the whole setup is whats causing your problems! With the new pipes/ A/C / 103BB kit / New Cams. You need a good tuner and might as well dyno the bike with all those upgrades so you get top performance. Dont get me wrong, the fuel pack is great product, but just not for the upgrades you have done.

Quick Reply: Help with Vance and Hines fuel pak!