Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FLSTC Hi Low Beam Switch

Old 12-30-2011, 10:48 PM
MarineGAU
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face 2012 FLSTC Hi Low Beam Switch

Ok, installed some chrome switch covers today and they look pretty good. But, the Hi Lo Beam switch feels vefy sensitive and has to be pushed numerous times to keep it in Lo Beam. I took it back apart to see if I missed something. Looks like there should be two little silver "arrow" shaped paddles under the switch, problem is I only have one? Don't know if I lost the other and also don"t know if I have the "arrow" piece installed properly. I have the point on the "arrow" paddle pointing up and the "nock" part down inside the switch. Any one run into this before? Any ideas on how many of these little pieces there are suppose to be and which way they should be installed in the switch. Thanks!!

Old 12-30-2011, 11:28 PM
BassCatcher
Grand HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 38 Posts

I assume this is a non HD part. Why don't you contact the company where you bought them and talk to their tech support. Maybe they can send you a schematic showing the layout for those paddles.

Old 12-31-2011, 11:57 PM
MarineGAU
Novice

Actually these are the Chrome Switch Covers that the dealership carries?

Old 01-01-2012, 06:46 PM
MarineGAU
Novice
Thumbs up

Ok, I have the answer and I think anyone who tries to change out their switch covers to the chrome switch covers sold by HD might find this useful. When removing the original Hi-low beam switch there are two small silver shaped pieces of metal that just sit in the switch under the cover and these can pop out very easily during cover removal. These must be installed in the slots under the switch cover with the pointed end facing up before installing the chrome switch cover or the switch will not properly lock in the Hi or Low beam position. (mine didn't work properly because I lost one of them on the floor). After I found the second metal piece on the floor and installed it as mentioned above, it works right now and they look good as well!! Hope someone else finds this info helpful if they go to change out the original switch covers with the HD chrome switch covers

Old 01-01-2012, 06:49 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Good info to know, thanks

Old 01-01-2012, 07:09 PM
poppavein
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarineGAU
These must be installed in the slots under the switch cover with the pointed end facing up before installing the chrome switch cover or the switch will not properly lock in the Hi or Low beam position.
They can lock in Hi beam? A minor frustration I've had is that I always run with Hi beam on but it gets reset when the bike gets turned off, so that I have to hit Hi beam every time I start up.

I figured it was because of the new HDLAN system. Not true? Can you set it to Hi beam and it always stays that way?

Old 01-01-2012, 07:30 PM
MarineGAU
Novice

Good question! I just went and checked it out. It will stay in which ever position the switch is selected to even if shut-off and restarted. Just wondering though, is'nt there more current draw when starting the engine with the lights selected to Hi beam? I always shut off my aux lights and make sure Low beam is selected when starting and then turn on the aux lights after up and running. On the Heritage, the aux lights are on either side next to the head light and they go off anytime Hi beam is selected ( as far as I know this is how it is suppose to work). I like having the aux lights on anytime I am driving just to help those cagers see me.

Old 01-01-2012, 08:57 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MarineGAU
Good question! I just went and checked it out. It will stay in which ever position the switch is selected to even if shut-off and restarted. Just wondering though, is'nt there more current draw when starting the engine with the lights selected to Hi beam? I always shut off my aux lights and make sure Low beam is selected when starting and then turn on the aux lights after up and running. On the Heritage, the aux lights are on either side next to the head light and they go off anytime Hi beam is selected ( as far as I know this is how it is suppose to work). I like having the aux lights on anytime I am driving just to help those cagers see me.
If you search the threads, you'll find a fairly easy mod to be able the keep the lamps on. There's also other bulb options out there for your headlight so that you don't add as much draw while you have your hi beams and lamps on at the same time. Oh, and yes it would take a little more draw to start the bike with everything turned on, and I guess I never really thought about it before... My lamps are always on when I start. I'm sure my decompression helps a little too though. Never had a hard time starting her...

Old 01-01-2012, 11:09 PM
MarineGAU
Novice

Do you remember what topic that mod might be under on the forum? I may like to look into that?

Old 01-02-2012, 11:12 AM
MarineGAU
Novice

Found it! Had to do a Google search to find it on the forums. Looks easy enough. I think I will go buy the Maint. Manual first before I do the mod just to be sure the wire colors are correct. Thanks for the heads up.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2012 FLSTC Hi Low Beam Switch