Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

For those who run no Front Fender

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 08:18 PM
klf33
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

+1 on Water and Sand.
My worst experience was 2 minute in gravel road in a group ride, and the amount of s..t that got stuck in the engine front fins was not funny, the fender returned the next day after 4 hours of cleaning.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:31 AM
DixinTex
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

built a 58 pan bobber years ago with no front fender...goin through green lights would get a little spray...thought it was only a/c drip from waitin cagers...sittin at a red light behind an old beatup truck..redneck dude opens his door..takes a big healthy spit..i swear the spit hit the ground before it left his lip...ride with no fender...nnnaaaa not me!!!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Harp_oon
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride with no front fender, and of course you get a little spray and sand, but get a bandana or a rag and tie it around the forks just above the front tire and the worst spray goes away.

I ride a lot of long trips during the summer, and as long as you are ok with a little spray and the possibility of sand or pebbles hitting your bike I´d say go for it, can´t beat the fenderless look.

Old 01-15-2012, 11:40 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spoonie
Guys, when one pulls the fender on a Crossbones, what do you use to replace the strut on the right side?
the problem is, the wheel spacer is part of that strut. You have to either cut it down or I believe there is a set of spacers from another model that will work. The Heritage Springer maybe???

Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnFlorida
Had a bike with no front fender many years ago. You get a rooster tail in the face if you dont duck to the side
Same here. All mine were different length front ends. Had 12 over, 14 over, 18 over springers, and it'd put out a rooster shooter either in my face, right over my head, or hit a car length behind me.

I don't think the front fender on my Blackline is that noticeable. It's tapere right above the tire.

Last edited by outgood; 01-16-2012 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:22 PM
psdj52
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the replies guys. i knew i would get alot of opinions. I guess the downsides dont scare me, but the fact that i will have to put it back to get inspected just stinks. Aww well. Another law in PA I dont like. LOL..

Old 01-17-2012, 01:22 PM
Skeezmachine
Stellar HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spoonie
Guys, when one pulls the fender on a Crossbones, what do you use to replace the strut on the right side?
Originally Posted by brettnbama
the problem is, the wheel spacer is part of that strut. You have to either cut it down or I believe there is a set of spacers from another model that will work. The Heritage Springer maybe???
The spacers from the Heritage Springer will not work because the inner diameter is different (too small I believe). The easiest thing is to do is to cut the upright off and just reuse the spacer portion of it. If you plan on ever putting the stock fender back on, you should get a spare strut.

I like the fenderless look but can't imagine dealing with that on my 160 mile commutes here in central FL where you can be under clear skies one minute and in a down pour the next.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:31 PM
Bigfoot1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stretched frame small tank no fender. Bad combo. Not gonna put it back on but it often sucks just a bit!

Old 01-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Janoinen
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Skeezmachine
The spacers from the Heritage Springer will not work because the inner diameter is different (too small I believe). The easiest thing is to do is to cut the upright off and just reuse the spacer portion of it. If you plan on ever putting the stock fender back on, you should get a spare strut.

I like the fenderless look but can't imagine dealing with that on my 160 mile commutes here in central FL where you can be under clear skies one minute and in a down pour the next.
no need to cut anything...

check this out
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...al-help-2.html

Old 01-17-2012, 05:56 PM
spoonie
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Janoinen
no need to cut anything...

check this out
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...al-help-2.html
So if I understand this thread correctly.... I can just pull the strut and every thing will be copeasetic. Maybe visually not so cool but physically nothing bad will happen. Do I understand this right?

m

Quick Reply: For those who run no Front Fender