Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   fatboy 7" headlight upgrade? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/724843-fatboy-7-headlight-upgrade.html)

wildrooster 01-18-2012 12:48 PM

Pluss one on that

oldbie 01-18-2012 01:37 PM

Is it blinding to oncoming drivers?

fatusboyus 01-18-2012 04:54 PM

thanks man, i appreciate your insight and first hand knowledge

what year bike did you put this on? i wander if its a "plug and play" kind of thing on my bike?:icon_denk:

Originally Posted by 8balla (Post 9275274)
I follow your thinking on the price of the LED, however i can share with anyone interested in listening that this is hands down the best 500 bucks i have spent on my bike. I can be seen, no exceptions. At night i can see forever, and during the day street signs light up like a lamp when my light hits them. My wife was even concerned when i told her what i wanted to spend on a headlamp and within hours she was thanking me constantly for doing so, she can't believe the difference.

A buddy i ride with thought i was nuts, lots of money out of my 103 fund, however we made a 60 mile ride one saturday morning as I followed him down the 2 lanes, and he was blown away by how my headlamp illuminated road signs from behind the group. He has one now and feels the cost is totally justified.

I know it's lots of guido, but it helps me be seen day and night, i can see way better at night, and that makes me feel way safer riding. I for one am totally glad i spent the cash on this headlamp.

dcgray2 01-18-2012 11:41 PM

Originally Posted by fatusboyus (Post 9276634)
thanks man, i appreciate your insight and first hand knowledge

what year bike did you put this on? i wander if its a "plug and play" kind of thing on my bike?:icon_denk:

Both the Kuryakin (cheaper but rated best by one reviewer - HD was rated best by the other) and Harley LEDs will fir your bike according to the info I looked at.

I will third the others. Night and Day difference. I had trouble seeing at night before and the LED headlight is phenomenal.

Easy installation, remove trim ring, remove headlight, plug in new headlight, screw down, re-install trim ring. 10 minutes if you take your time and read the instructions twice.

Joker_Hal 01-20-2012 02:20 AM

Here are some images I've copied from the Kuryakin and Harley Sites. They show a comparison of stock head lights verse their LED types.

https://plus.google.com/photos/10280...25044107145153

It may cost more, but after looking at these, I'm going with the HD version.

turd fergussen 01-20-2012 04:23 AM

just a question... is the led less visible during daytime driving though?

wildrooster 01-20-2012 06:57 AM

Its bright all the time

8balla 01-20-2012 10:14 AM

Installation is super easy, mounts like the stock one, and simply plug it in.

As for the blinding during the day, i've had no complaints from people I have followed or shined onto, so i would say it is a very subtle bright, easy on the eyes. This is a very white light so the clarity is unmatched.

I looked and studied the Kury light, and the HD light, i even went as far as to discover the manufacturers of each light and compare on the most basic level. The Kury light is about 2/3 the cost of the HD lamp, however in my opinion it is about 2/3 the light also. When i compared i noticed the HD light shown further down the road, and much wider to the side of the road. I noticed a clearer white image to discern what i see down the road better. And perhaps the most noticeable difference was what I called the "hotspot" issue. Basically with the HD LED it lights up from about 4 feet in front of the bike to as far as you can see totally and evenly, it all looks the same. With the Kury light i noticed "hotspots" at about 20 feet in front of the bike where the LED concentrated and then faded lighting all around it. It was better than stock, however the extra $150-$200 bucks for the HD cured all my ills.

The bike i installed on is a 2010 Fatboy Lo, so naturally i went with the Black LED lamp and this thing hits the spot on that ride.

cmosentine 01-20-2012 10:28 AM

You can get the 7-inch LED from Hales HD online for $395.

turd fergussen 01-20-2012 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by wildrooster (Post 9282794)
Its bright all the time

thanks for the info.